Historical notes of early Stockton were published in a column entitled "In the Days of Old," in the Rooks County Record, Stockton, December 17, 1931, and succeeding issues. The notes were gathered from an early newspaper file by F. E. Young.
Interesting records gleaned from account books kept by Peter Robidoux, a storekeeper at Fort Wallace, were published in the Hoisington Dispatch, December 17, 1931. The story, a reprint from the Oakley Graphic, named many early-day personalities who had accounts with Mr. Robidoux.
Brief historical sketches of each of Kansas' 105 counties provided a daily feature for the Kansas City (Mo.) Journal-Post, starting with its issue of March 24, 1932. A page story of Jacob Achenbach, builder of the Kiowa, Hardtner & Pacific and the Beaver, Meade & Englewood railroads, is also of interest to Kansans. It was published by the Journal Post May 8.
"Wichita From 1717 to 1900," by E. V. Long, is published serially in the Wichita Independent. The first installment appeared May 17, 1932.
The Protection Post, starting with its issue of May 26, 1932, and the Wilmore News, commencing with its issue of June 3, published weekly the reminiscences of J. W. Dappert, an early-day surveyor in Comanche county.
Emanuel Lutheran congregation of Hepler celebrated its fiftieth anniversary May 29, 1932. A history of the organization was contributed by Rev. R. Hildebrandt to the Girard Press, June 2.
An interview with "Our Doctor Mary" Bennett, now 80 years old, pioneer woman physician of Kansas, was published in the Greensburg News, June 2, 1932. The article was written by A. B. MacDonald and first appeared in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star.
The St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran church of Alta Vista celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary June 12, 1932. A brief history of the church was published June 9 in the Alta Vista Journal.
Early Washington county history was republished by the Washington County Register, Washington, June 10, 1932. The material
was taken from an old state history. On June 24 the Register recorded the history of its post office. In the issues of August 5, 12 and 19 the editor featured the names of prominent citizens active in various county organizations which had been in existence before 1886. The papers had been preserved in a cornerstone box of the Washington county courthouse, which was recently razed.
Stories of travel over "Old Trails of the Southwest," by India H. Simmons, have been printed in the Dodge City Daily Globe, commencing with the issue of June 21, 1932.
Reminiscences of prairie schooner days of the West, by Harry Johnson, were published in the Colony Free Press, June 23, 1932.
Disastrous fires in Parsons' history were recalled by Walter Buel, fire chief, in the Parsons Sun, June 23, 1932.
Scott county historical notes have provided the Scott City News Chronicle with material for a regular front-page feature. The series started June 23, 1932, under the supervision of Elmer Epperson, director of the Scott County Historical Society and editor of the News Chronicle. Letters from pioneers and short paragraphs relating county facts are published.
Impressions received by Finlay Ross, Ellsberry Martin and Dave D. Leahy on revisiting Caldwell, a city they visited many times a half century ago, were recorded by Leahy in his column "Random Recollections of Other Days," appearing in the Wichita Sunday Eagle June 26, 1932. Life at old Runnymede was featured in his Eagle column July 10, and an article "Anecdotes of Barber County," inspired by an interview with Tom McNeal, was published September 4.
Two interviews which W. W. Graves read at a meeting of the Neosho County Historical Society June 23, 1932, have been published in his St. Paul Journal. One, an interview with the late Francis M. Dinsmore, was published June 30. Mr. Dinsmore settled in East Lincoln in 1865. The other, an interview with Stephen C. Beck, early resident of St. Paul, who told of the founding of Erie, appeared July 21.
At the death of James J. Peate, June 23, 1932, the Lincoln Sentinel Republican and the Lincoln County News, Lincoln, in the issues of June 30, recalled his part in leading rescuers to Gen. George A. Forsyth and his band besieged on Beecher's Island at the battle
of the Arickaree. Mr. Peate came to Kansas in 1866 and engaged in scouting duty. He later settled at Beverly, where he resided until his death. A memorial address was dedicated to Mr. Peate at the annual Beecher's Island reunion, September 18.
The fiftieth anniversary of the founding of Everest was observed with a community picnic, August 13, 1932. The Everest Enterprise published historical editions June 30 and July 7, commemorating the event.
"The Story of Hutchinson and Reno County, Year by Year," by Ed M. Moore, staff historian, was published in a 32-page illustrated historical supplement commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of the Hutchinson News, July 2, 1932. First settlers of Reno county, first churches, first hotels, first trains, first flour mill, first gas franchise, first electric street lights, Reno county's "ghost" towns, names of pioneers still living in Reno county and a full-sized reproduction of the first edition of the News issued on July 4, 1872, were features of the supplement.
A history of the Wichita Beacon was published July 3, 1932, as a part of the fourth anniversary edition commemorating its purchase by Max, Louis and John Levand. The Beacon was first established by F. A. Sowers and D. C. Millison on October 18, 1872.
"The 'Cowboy' Struts Again in Dodge City" was the subject of a radio address by Henry L. Carey over KGNO recently. The address, in part, was published in the Dodge City Daily Globe, July 6, 1932.
"Early History of Cowley County," by Nadina Carr, was a weekly feature of the Winfield Independent-Record from July 7 through August 25, 1932.
The story of the founding of Utica was told in the Hutchinson Herald, July 10, 1932, by Mrs. Ella Ferrell, one of the first settlers on the original townsite. The Utica Star-Courier reprinted the article on July 14.
A two-column history of Alexander, Rush county, was published in the Alexander Booster, July 12, 1932. The first settlement was made by Alexander Harvey.
The fifty-fourth anniversary edition of the Kingman Leader-Courier was published July 15, 1932, featuring pictures and stories
of early-day Kingman. The Leader-Courier was founded as the Kingman Mercury, June 14, 1878, and took its present name in 1889.
Salina's history was reviewed briefly by George T. Woolley in The Merchants Journal, Topeka, July 16, 1932, and was reprinted in the Salina Journal, July 18. Mr. Woolley came to Salina in 1867.
A description of the breastworks at Battle Canyon, and the death of Col. Win. H. Lewis, were recalled by Henry Howell in a letter published by the Scott City News Chronicle, July 21, 1932.
Excerpts from the diary of the late Mrs. Z. N. Jackson, a Civil War nurse, were published in the Olathe Mirror, July 28, 1932. Although a resident of the South, Mrs. Jackson took up her duties with the Union forces while her husband fought with the Confederates. They were reunited after the war and settled in Kansas in 1868.
"The Story of Our Shawnee Mission," by William C. Scarritt, was published in The Northeast Johnson County Herald, Overland Park, July 28, 1932. The article was a resume of an address given by Mr. Scarritt at the dedicatory services of the Shawnee Mission Indian Historical Society, held in Shawnee Mission last June.
A Royal buffalo hunt in 1872, in which Grand Duke Alexis of Russia figured, was described by Sue Carmody Jones for the Topeka State Journal, August 6, 1932. The story was based on the manuscripts of James Albert Hadley and "Chalk" Beeson, now in the possession of the Kansas State Historical Society.
Fifty "lost" towns of Kansas were recalled by the Kansas City (Mo.) Journal-Post in a half-page feature article August 7, 1932.
"When Times Were Really Hard in Kansas" was the title of a feature story published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, August 14, 1932. The article was based on a series of letters written by the late J. Hout Minnich from El Paso, Kan., covering the period from June 3, 1872, through 1874.
A diary kept by the late Capt. J. H. Baker, of Palo Pinto county, Texas, recording a cattle drive to Wichita in 1869, was featured in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, August 21, 1932. The story was reprinted from an article by E. B. Ritchie in the Fort Worth (Tex.) Cattleman.
A special pictorial supplement commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of the Newton Kansan-Republican was published August 22, 1932. The edition featured Newton newspaper history.
"Some Early Lawrence History" was the title of a column appearing in the Lawrence Democrat, August 25, 1932, which recalled Quantrill's raid on the city in 1863.
A brief interview with L. J. H. Wooden, one of the first editors of the Dighton Herald, was published in the Herald August 25, 1932.
"Historical Sketches from the Scrapbook of James J. Peate" is the title of a column appearing serially in the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican. The series started with the issue of August 25, 1932, and reviews many incidents of interest to Lincoln county pioneers.
Names of the early residents of northwest Kansas who registered at the old settlers' picnic at Oberlin August 26, 1932, were published in the Oberlin Herald September 1. Speeches by W. S. Langmade, of Oberlin, C. C. Andrews, of Norcatur and John S. Dawson, of Topeka, president of the Kansas State Historical Society, were features of the occasion.
A brief sketch of the Clearwater schools, as contained in a history of education in Sedgwick county, by Mrs. C. R. Rankin, was published in the Clearwater News September 1, 1932.
The experiences of Albert J. Beveridge in Dighton and Lane county were published by the Dighton Herald September 1, 1932, from a recent issue of the Literary Guild.
"An Episode in the Life of Capt. John Brown," as related by the late Charles Smith to J. Albert Smith, of Lincoln, provided a three-column feature story for the Wetmore Spectator in its issue of September 2, 1932. Mr. Smith, a Brown county settler in 1856, entertained Brown and his party in his log-cabin home on January 31, 1859, as they were fleeing northward after the "Battle of the Spurs."
Featuring news stories taken from old files, The Johnson County Democrat, Olathe, published a special historical section in its issue of September 1,1932, announcing the thirty-fifth annual old settlers' reunion held at Olathe, September 3, 1932. A special historical edition was also published by the Olathe Mirror September 1, and the names of the five hundred old settlers registering at the event were printed in its September 8 issue.
The sixtieth anniversary edition of the Smith County Pioneer, Smith Center, was published September 8, 1932. The newspaper was first issued at Cedarville, but was removed to Smith Center in
1873 following the location of the county seat at the latter place. A story of the growth and decay of old Salem, the establishment of the Smith Center town site, the organization of the county, the coming of the railroad, and recollections of the pioneers were high lights of the edition.
Letters from David Hoag, founder of Oakley, and Edward Kleist, editor of the city's first newspaper, were published by the Oakley Graphic September 9, 1932, in a special issue announcing Oakley's forty-seventh birthday anniversary held September 15. William Wyscarver, another early Oakley resident, wrote briefly of his experiences in the Graphic, September 16. Mr. and Mrs. Wyscarver were the second couple to be married in the city.
Frontenac's mine disaster of November 9, 1888, was recalled by James Hall, one of the survivors, for the fourth annual coal editions of the Pittsburg Headlight September 12, 1932, and the Sun, September 13.
Special historical editions of interest to Marion county residents were issued by the Marion Review September 13, 1932, and the Marion Record September 15. The newspapers featured programs for the old settlers' picnic which was held at Marion September 16.
A two-column history of the Clyde Methodist Episcopal church was published by the Republican September 15, 1932, in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the organization. Charles H. French was the compiler.
"Memories of the Early Days in Southeast. Kansas," by W. N. Baylor, was the title of a sketch appearing in the Edna Sun September 15, 1932. Mr. Baylor came to Labette county in 1872.
Norton's newspaper history was briefly reviewed in the Norton Champion, September 15, 1932.
"Days of 1879," an early history of Stafford county, is published serially in The County Capital, St. John, starting with the September 15, 1932, issue. The historical record was first published in 1895 and was republished this year as a feature of the county's old settlers' reunion.
A history of the Garden City community church, by Mrs. W. A. Blanchard, was published in the Garden City News September 15, commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the first organized church in the city.
The twenty-fifth anniversary of St. Paul's Lutheran church, near Washington, was celebrated September 11, 1932. John Stamm contributed a brief history of the parish to the Hanover Democrat September 16.
Early history of the Richmond Methodist Episcopal church was briefly reviewed in the Richmond Enterprise September 22, 1932.
A special 24-page historical edition announcing the sixty-fifth anniversary of the signing of the peace treaty between the United States and the five tribes of Plains Indians was published by The Barber County Index, Medicine Lodge, September 22, 1932. Eyewitness stories and a reproduction of the original treaty were featured. The signing of the peace treaty is officially commemorated by the citizens of Medicine Lodge every five years. This year it was held on October 5, 6 and 7.