The Prairie Star school, located east of Wilson, has closed after 60 years of service. The Wilson World, May 1, 1947, printed the history of the school. The names of the teachers are included in the principal article and the names of the pupils who attended since 1897 are listed in the World, May 8.
A brief history of School District 35 in Rush county was published in The Rush County News, La Crosse, July 3, 1947. The school was started in 1885 and was recently closed because of the school reorganization.
The history of Prairie View school, Gove county, was reviewed by Mrs. Raymond Briggs in the Gove County Republican-Gazette, Gove City, July 3 and 10, 1947. The school opened in 1888 and was recently closed by consolidation with another district. A letter from John F. Lindquist discussing several phases of Gove county history was also printed in the July 3 issue.
Features in the Labor day edition of the Kansas Labor Weekly, Topeka, August 28, 1947, included: "The Printers Protective Fraternity," a story relating a phase of Topeka's printing history, by James A. Coates; a history of the Topeka library, by Mrs. Anna Neal Muller, city librarian, and an article by Dr. Kenneth McFarland, superintendent of Topeka schools, discussing the new course in automobile driving inaugurated in Topeka High School in the fall of 1947.
Among articles of interest to Kansans in recent issues of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star were: "Home Takes High Place in Life of the [Dwight] Eisenhowers," by Malvina Stephenson, August 31, 1947; "After Teaching 57 Years She [Ellen Victoria Zimmermann of Hiawatha] Starts a Class Again," by William I. Hastie, September 7; "Bonanza in Kansas Soil," gross value of all farm and mineral products in 1947 expected to reach two billion dollars, by Alvin S. McCoy, September 14; "Medicine Lodge Trains Its Own Cavalry for Pageant of Indian Peace Council," by Cecil Howes, September 26; "Babson Inscribes a Magic Circle Opening His Utopia College," by Hughes Rudd, October 12; "New K. U. Plan Directs Attention To Alumni Who Serve Kansas Communities," by Paul Brownlee, October 13; "Kansas Political Fish Fry," Ray Pierson's annual cat
fish party on the Neosho river near Burlington, by Alvin S. McCoy, October 26; "Kansas Clay Is Basis for a G. I. Pottery Business," established by Jimmy Dryden at Ellsworth, October 26, and "Fried Chicken Wins Fame for Kansas Town of 200 [Brookville, Saline county]," November 2, by Eleanor R. Johnston, and "New Summerfield Generosity Will Add Funds To Help Students Attend K. U.," by Paul Brownlee, November 18. Articles in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times included: "A New Approach To American Way of Life Is Required Course at K. U.," by Paul Brownlee, September 11; "High Prices for Beef Recall the Era of Cattle Drives To Kansas Railroads," by Cecil Howes, September 20; "Mike Malott of Abilene Talks About His Half Century of Country Banking," by Charles M. Harger, October 23; "Western Kansas Surgeon `Hitches Up, His Monoplane for Visits To Patients," by Paul Brownlee, November 11; "A Strange Beef Animal [Cross-Breeding of Buffalo and Cattle] Increased Meat Output of Kansas Plains in Early Day," November 12, "Kansas Often Has Given for Hungry," November 13, "Dan Cupid and Good Causes Thrived on Old-Fashioned Box Suppers in Country," November 24, by Cecil Howes.
Frederic Remington, "Painter of the Rip-Roaring West," by Myra Lockwood Brown and Robert Taft, was a feature of the September, 1947, issue of the Country Gentleman, Philadelphia. Accompanying the article were several of Remington's paintings reproduced in color. Dr. Taft, who wrote four articles entitled "The Pictorial Record of the Old West" which appeared in the 1946 issues of The Kansas Historical Quarterly, has prepared a more detailed study of this famous Kansas painter for publication in our next issue as Part V of the artists, series.
Among articles of historical interest in the September, 1947, number of the Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, Lawrence, were: "Ground-Water Resources of Kansas," by V. C. Fishel; "Reclamation in the Kansas Basin," by William C'. Brady; "Forage Yields of Native Grasses at Hays, Kansas," by Andrew Riegel; "Kansas Plants New To Kansas Herbaria," by W. H. Horr and R. L. McGregor, and "Botanical Notes, 1946," by F. U. G. Agrelius.
The Larned Chronoscope and The Tiller and Toiler have been publishing a series of articles on the history of Pawnee county as told by members of some of the county's pioneer families. Recent sketches featured the Gotlieb Richards family, by Mrs. Minnie
Richards Buhrer, in the Chronoscope, September 4, 1947; the Oscar Frederick Gustafson family, by Frank and Carl Gustafson, Chronoscope, September 18, and a four and one-half column article entitled "Senator E. E. Frizell's Story of Early Days in Pawnee County," The Tiller and Toiler, October 23.
Some of the historical events discussed in recent months by W. E. Baer in his column, "Across the Years-A History of La Cygne," appearing regularly in the La Cygne Journal are: The movement of several families from La Cygne to Washington territory in 1889, and of another family to Oklahoma in the same year; the extension of telephone service from La Cygne to Paola; the organization of the Citizens Bank of La Cygne which opened for business on October 21, 1889; the activities of the Robert B. Mitchell Post No. 170 of the G. A. R., and a brief sketch of the life of Robert B. Mitchell; the advocacy of certain reforms by James D. Holden, an early La Cygne attorney; the third commencement of the La Cygne High School; the drought of 1860; the beginning of train service from Kansas City to Amoret and the extension of the railroad beyond Amoret in 1891; the coal boom in the town of Boicourt in the spring of 1891; and the observance on Memorial Day, 1891, of the 25th anniversary of the ending of the Civil War. A list of marriages from 1885 through 1892 was featured November 21, 1947, and brief sketches of several young men who served apprenticeships in the Journal office were printed December 12.
The Hutchinson News-Herald has continued the publication of a series of pictures of "Historic, Beautiful Kansas," by Russell Walker of St. John, which was begun in August, 1947. Included among recent pictures are: Coronado Heights, near Lindsborg, September 8; Horse Thief canyon, west of Jetmore, September 15; old Fort Fletcher, near Walker, September 22; buffalo tracks, between Ellsworth and Lyons, September 29; the First Territorial Capitol building, near Fort Riley, October 6; Castle Rock, Gove county, 13 miles south of Collyer, October 13; Negro Baptist church that was once the Stevens county courthouse, Hugoton, November 3; the Morton county courthouse, Richfield, built in 1889, November 10; the home of Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Abilene, November 17; Hell's Half-Acre, ten miles west of Sun City, November 24; chalk formations, Logan county, December 1; Natural Bridge, five miles south of Sun City, December 8; Mushroom or Toadstool Rock, near Carneiro,
December 15; Kansas soapweed, December 22, and guardhouse of old Fort Harker, Kanopolis, December 29.
Wichita recalled its pioneer days by observing a "Chisholm Trail Jubilee," September 9-14, 1947, with shows, parades and other entertainment. The trail, named for Jesse Chisholm, Indian trader of the Wichita area, was made famous by the colorful cattle drives from Texas when thousands of cattle were driven up the trail to the newly-built railroads in Kansas. The Wichita Beacon and Eagle published stories of the jubilee and of the trail's historical background in issues preceding and during the festival.
Lindsborg newspaper history was reviewed in the Lindsborg News-Record, September 18, 1947. The earliest paper was the Lindsborg Localist, first issued April 19, 1879.
Included among the recent subjects discussed by W. W. Graves in his "History of Neosho County," published in the St. Paul Journal, were the following: "Farmers Union," September 18, 1947; "The Grange," September 25; "Farmers Alliance," October 9; "The Farm Bureau," October 16; "Neosho Tanker," United States navy oilers named for the Neosho river, October 30; "Cemeteries" and "Tragedies," November 6; "Tragedies," November 13; "Early Day Crops," November 20; "Livestock," and a biographical sketch of Dr. R. 0, Prideaux, November 27; a biographical sketch of Jay Elmer House, December 4; biographical sketches of Thomas F. Morrison, J. M. Cavaness, Leander Stillwell, P. P. Campbell, Hugh Phillip Farrelly and Col. Roy S. Hoffman, December 11; a biographical sketch of Mary E. Lease and "The First Newspaper [Neosho Valley Eagle, of Jacksonville] in Neosho County," December 18, and "History of the St. Paul Journal," December 25.
The Holton Recorder, September 22, 1947, printed an article by Mary Luella Bateman Johnson about the journey of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bateman, from Canada to Jackson county, Kansas. According to Mrs. Johnson, the Batemans, together with another family, left Canada in 1855 by wagon. They reached Kansas in the spring of 1857. Stopping at Holton, they explored the surrounding territory for suitable farms. About two and one-half miles north they selected a quarter section for each family. The Batemans built a small log cabin on their quarter which was soon replaced by a larger one.
The history of the Gaylord family has been the main feature of the Protection Historical Society column, "Notes From the Early Days," published in the Protection Post in recent months.
The story of the county-seat election in Marshall county in 1871 was reviewed in a two-column article in the Marshall County News, Marysville, September 22, 1947. Marysville and Frankfort were the leading contenders. Although both were charged with fraud, Marysville secured the county-seat.
A biographical sketch of H. Q. Banta of Oberlin, who died September 19, 1947, was printed in the Oberlin Herald, September 25. Mr. Banta was president of the Decatur County Historical Society.
The Wilson World, September 25, 1947, published a two-column article on the life of John T. (Jack) Anderson, who has been director of the Wilson city band for forty years.
An article by Alberta Pantle, of the Library staff of the Kansas State Historical Society, in Mennonite Life, North Newton, October, 1947, discussed the settlement of the village of Gnadenau, Marion county, by the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren in August, 1874. The article told of the arrival from Indiana of the main body of the congregation after the site had been selected and negotiations for the land completed by Elder Jacob A. Wiebe and Franz Janzen. The building of the homes was described-first the temporary houses of sod and poles, then the frame buildings. Gnadenau had two blacksmith shops, a grist mill, several sorghum mills, one store, and a building that served as a school house and a church. This was a sod building which soon crumbled. It was replaced by a frame building erected in 1877. Miss Pantle described the unusual customs and clothing of the Mennonites. Some of the experiences suffered by the people from grasshoppers, prairie fires, droughts, and horse thieves were related.
Thousands of persons filled the town of Medicine Lodge on October 1-3, 1947, to witness the fifth presentation of the Medicine Lodge Indian Peace Treaty Pageant. Gov. Frank Carlson spoke preceding the initial performance of the pageant, which commemorated the signing of treaties with five Indian tribes, the Kiowas, Comanches, Apaches, Arapahoes and Cheyennes, by the United States government in 1867. The pageant was presented in a natural amphitheater overlooking the site of the original ceremony. Participating were 1,500 residents of the Medicine Lodge vicinity and
250 Indians from Oklahoma. Various scenes depicted historical events from the time of the Coronado expedition to the peace council. The pageant was first presented in 1927 and has been repeated every five years under the sponsorship of the Medicine Lodge Peace Treaty Association. Sen. Riley W. MacGregor is president of the association. Stories of the pageant and its historical background were printed in many newspapers of the Midwest, including The Barber County Index of Medicine Lodge, Hutchinson News-Herald, Topeka Daily Capital, and Kansas City (Mo.) Times.
A history of the Woodston Methodist Episcopal Church, by D. C. Worden of Woodston, was published in the Rooks County Record, Stockton, October 2, 1947. The Rev. L. C. York, of Bull City (now Alton), was the first Methodist preacher to hold services in the town in the winter of 1886-1887.
A two-column biography of George H. Hodges, Olathe lumberman, banker and publisher, who died October 7, 1947, was printed in The Johnson County Democrat, Olathe, October 9. Mr. Hodges was governor of Kansas from 1913 to 1915.
The Hays Daily News of October 19, 1947, carried a brief account of the founding of Fort Hays Kansas State College. The names of the first 49 students who enrolled were listed and some of the early activities were discussed.
A brief history of the town of Summerfield, Marshall county, was printed in the Marysville Advocate, October 23, 1947. The town was founded in 1888 and was incorporated in 1890. A story of the A. G. Barrett family home which overlooks the present community of Barrett, Marshall county, was another historical feature of this issue of the Advocate. The house was constructed in 1862.
On October 25, 1947, the Iola Register observed its fiftieth birthday as a daily newspaper by issuing a historical supplement telling of the founding of the daily and giving a word picture of things as they were in Iola in 1897. Charles F. Scott, publisher of the Register at the time the daily was started, continued as editor until his death in 1938 when he was succeeded by his son, Angelo Scott, the present editor and publisher.
A history of the Larned Presbyterian church was sketched by the Rev. Ralph Martin in The Daily Tiller and Toiler, Larned, October 27, 1947. The church was organized by the Rev. R. M. Overstreet on August 10, 1873.
Edward R. DeZurko, who contributed an article entitled "A Report and Remarks on Cantonment Leavenworth," published in the November, 1947, Kansas Historical Quarterly, was also author of a ten-page illustrated article on "Early Kansas Churches" printed in the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Urbana, Ill., v. 6, Nos. 1-2 (1947).
The Rush County News, La Crosse, November 6, 1947, carried an article in which P. J. Jennings of McCracken discussed some of the early history of Rush county. Mr. Jennings arrived in the county more than 67 years ago with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Jennings. They homesteaded a tract of land about 51/2 miles north of McCracken and built a sod "shanty" where the family lived a number of years. The family just recently erected a bronze marker on the spot where the sod house stood. According to Mr. Jennings, the first settlers in the county were William Basham and P. C. Dixon, who came in 1870. The J. S. Templeton family, James Corrall and Joseph Shaw Brown settled in the county in 1871. The first white child born in the county was a son to Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Templeton on December 27, 1871, named Samuel Alpha. The first post office in the county was officially called Economy, and was conducted by N. S. Gilbert. The country was organized and named in 1874.
The Garden City Daily Telegram, November 7, 1947, carried a brief review of the history of rainmaking in Kansas, by Dolores Sulzman. The recent organization of the Great Southwest Rain Association at Dodge City has revived the tales of efforts at rainmaking in the latter part of the nineteenth century. (For more information about these early experiments see Martha Caldwell's "Some Kansas Rain Makers," in The Kansas Historical Quarterly, v. 7 , pp. 306-324.)
Included among the articles of Kansas historical interest in the 1948 issue of the Kansas Magazine, Manhattan, were: "Per Aspera," a continuation of Charles B. Driscolll's autobiography; "Mary Elizabeth Lease: Prairie Radical," by Harry Levinson; "Wood Carvers of Kansas," by Rebecca Welty Dunn; "Vanishing Breeds [of Wildlife in Kansas]," by Theo. H. Scheffer; "The Shape of Kansas," by Cecil Howes, and "General Ike's Boyhood Town," by May Flenner McElravy. The cover painting, "Chamiso," was by Robert T. Aitchison, president of the Kansas State Historical Society.