KanColl: The Kansas  
Historical Quarterlies

Kansas Historical Notes

November, 1946 (Vol. 14 No. 4), pages 453 to 455.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas State Historical Society.


     The World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing for the state of Kansas was issued by the War Department in June, 1946. It contains the latest data available on all military personnel who were killed or died, or became and remained missing, between the President's declaration of unlimited national emergency on May 27, 1941, and the cut-off date of the report, January 31, 1946, and includes both battle and non-battle dead or missing. "The state of Kansas," the report stated, "contained 1.34 percent of the population of the United States and possessions (excluding the Philippine Islands) in 1940 and contributed 1.29 per cent of the total number who entered the army. Of these men and women of Kansas who went to war, 3.56 per cent failed to return. This figure represents 1.48 per cent of the army's total dead and missing." The Honor List is published as a preliminary report and the War Department plans to publish a complete and final list of deaths at some time in the future. The Department said the number of missing persons is being reduced daily through operation of army search teams in all theaters of operation.

Summary of army casualties for Kansas:

Killed in action 2,611
Died of wounds 364
Died of injuries 13
Died non-battle 1,190
Finding of death 324
Missing 24
Total 4,526

     The State Summary of War Casualties for Kansas was compiled by the Navy Department in April, 1946. Casualties listed represent only those on active duty in the navy, marine corps and coast guard, resulting directly from enemy action or from operational activities against the enemy in war zones from December 7, 1941, to the end of the war. Casualties in the United States area or as a result of disease in any location are not included. Inclusion of names in this Kansas group has been determined solely by the residence of next of kin at the time of notification of the last wartime casualty status.



     The listing does not necessarily represent the state of residence or official state credit according to service enlistment. The wounded tabulation represents a count by individuals and includes Only those whose next of kin were officially notified during the war. Complete data on all wounded naval personnel will be available later, the Summary said.

Navy, marine corps and coast guard casualties for Kansas: Dead

Combat 904
Prison camp 31
Missing 31
Released prisoners 89

     The Kansas State Board Of Agriculture observed its diamond jubilee at a special dinner in Topeka January 9, 1946. As a feature of the occasion the board compiled a list Of persons owning Kansas farms which have been lived upon by members Of the same family for 75 years or more. Honor guests chosen from this list for introduction at the dinner were George L. McCarty, Lecompton, representing the family with the longest Ownership and residence On a Kansas farm (from 1853), and D. W. Gilmore, Neosho county, who had the longest record (since 1864) for One person On the same Kansas farm. The following were named provisional Officers Of the Shawnee County Historical Society On July 24, 1946: Arthur J. Carruth, Jr., president; Milton Tabor, vice-president; Paul B. Sweet, treasurer; George A. Root, secretary, and Paul Adams, assistant secretary.

     About 300 persons attended the reunion of the Kennebec association held at the old R. B. Landon farm in Russell county August 4, 1946. The purpose of the association is to preserve the history Of the community at the junction of Landon creek and Smoky Hill river, eight miles south Of Russell on US Highway 281. The Landon farmhouse, built in 1871, is still standing. It was One Of the first houses erected between Russell and Great Bend. The group plans to place a marker one-half mile south Of the Smoky Hill river near Highway 281, which will point Out the Landon homestead and commemorate the coming of the Russian-Germans to the area in 1876 and 1877. Mrs. Mabel Landon Plumer of Downs is one Of the leaders Of the association. Accounts Of the reunion were printed in the


Hutchinson News-Herald, August 5, Russell Record and The Russell County News, August 8, Hoisington Dispatch, August 8, and Great Bend Herald, August 9. Mrs. George Dietz, age 90, of Russell, was the oldest survivor of the Settlement oOf 1876 present. Capt. John E. Wilson and Judge J. C. Ruppenthal of Russell were speakers. Officers of the Kennebec association, listed in the May, 1946, Quarterly (p. 234), were reelected.


Go to previous article     Go to cover page for this issue     Go to KHQ main page