"The Story of the Queen's Daughters in the City of Wichita," by Mrs. Sophia Kramer Joy, was printed serially in The Catholic Advance, of Wichita, from January 12 to June 1, 1935. Persons interested in Kansas Catholic church history will find considerable material in the Advance which frequently publishes historical sketches of the various churches in the state.
A two-column history of School District No. 76, near Summerfield, appeared in the Summerfield Sun February 14, 1935. Electors of the first election held in Corinth township, Osborne county, on November 4, 1873, were named in the Downs News February 21, 1935.
A history of Lone Tree school, Pottawatomie county, by Orman L. Miller, was printed in the Onaga Herald February 21 and 28, 1935. A list of teachers from 1875 to date was included.
Early Natoma history was discussed in articles published under the heading "Pioneer Gleanings" in the Natoma Independent February 28 and March 21, 1935.
Brief historical sketches of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lincolnville, by the Rev. K. J. Karstensen, were printed in the Marion Review May 8, 1935, and the Marion Record May 9. The congregation was organized in 1877.
The Marion Methodist Episcopal Church observed the sixty-sixth anniversary of its founding with a week of special programs beginning May 19, 1935. A brief historical sketch of the church appeared in the Marion Review May 15. A more detailed history compiled by Mrs. William Rupp was published in the Marion Record May 16 and 23.
Reminiscences of Robert Banks, who settled in Kansas in 1854, as told to Mrs. R. C. Moseley, were contributed by her to the Wamego Reporter June 6, 1935.
Jefferson's Methodist Church history was briefly outlined in the Independence South Kansas Tribune June 12, 1935. The church building was dedicated June 7, 1885.
Clearwater's First Presbyterian Church history was briefly sketched by Mrs. Bessie Colver in the Clearwater News June 27, 1935. The church was organized in February, 1874.
An "old-fashioned" Fourth of July held in Altamont in 1905 was described in the Altamont Journal July 4, 1935.
The story of Camp Gardner, Johnson county transient camp, was contributed by Jack Chesbro to the Gardner Gazette July 31, 1935. The camp was established May 16, 1934.
Histories of the municipal bands of Belleville, Beloit, Bennington, Cuba, Ellsworth, Minneapolis and Salina were briefly sketched in the Ellsworth Messenger August 1, 1935.
Life in early Kiowa county as experienced by Mrs. Mary Evans and Charles Isham was described in an article appearing in the Greensburg News August 1, 1935. In the August 15 issue, James Briggs, another pioneer, recounted his experiences.
Several articles of historical interest were contributed by A. H. Stewart to Goodland newspapers in recent months. Titles of some of these stories and the dates of their publication were: "The Murder of Corley and Lynching of the McKinleys, Father and Son . . . Wallace County's Peak of Tragedy," News-Republic, August 7, 1935; "The Battle With the Train Robbers; a Stirring Event of 35 Years Ago," August 8, "Goodland Man Tells Interesting Facts About Early Day Droughts," September 5, and "Battle of Arickaree Was Section's Great Incident in Struggle for Prairies," September 12, in The Sherman County Herald.
"Methodism in Conway Springs" was the title of a three-column article written by F. H. Poore and L. E. McNeil for the Conway Springs Star August 8, 1935. Arrival of the grasshoppers in Harvey county in 1874 was described by John S. Biggs, of Washington, D. C., in a two-column article appearing in the Sedgwick Pantagraph August 15, 1935.
The fifty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the Oneida Christian Church was celebrated August 18, 1935. A brief history of the church, which was organized by Elder R. C. Barrows on August 22, 1880, was published in the Seneca Times and The Courier-Tribune in their issues of August 15 and 22.
Subjects discussed by "Old-Timer" in recent issues of the Protection Post and the dates of their publication were: Red Bluff and
Protection townsites, August 15, 1935; preparations for Indian raid, September 5; a trip through the blizzard in the middle 1880's, December 12; early days in Protection, February 6, 1936, and the city's first newspaper, February 20. Brief histories of the Kingman county farm bureau and 4-H clubs were printed in The Leader-Courier, of Kingman, August 16, 1935.
Frank D. Tomson's impressions and reminiscences of Burlingame were recorded in The Enterprise-Chronicle, Burlingame, August 29, 1935.
Norcatur's Methodist Episcopal Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding September 1, 1935. Its history was briefly sketched in the Norcatur Dispatch August 29.
A twenty-page souvenir historical edition of the Potwin Ledger was issued September 5, 1935, commemorating the founding of the Potwin Methodist Episcopal Church fifty years ago.
The history of St. Augustine's church at Fidelity was reviewed in the Fairview Enterprise September 5, 1935. The first church edifice was built in the middle 1860's.
Gove county teachers for the 1935-1936 school term were named in the Gove County Republican-Gazette, of Gove City, September 12, 1935. "Antecedents of Osage Mission," an article written in 1897 by the Rev. Paul M. Ponziglione, S. J., was printed in the St. Paul Journal September 12, 1935.
Excerpts from the diary of Stephen J. Wilson describing three guerilla "visits" to Gardner during the Civil War were published in the Gardner Gazette September 18, 25, and October 2, 1935. The raids, as reported by Mr. Wilson, occurred on October 22, 1861; in May, 1862; and on August 23, 1863.
A twenty-page souvenir edition of the Sedgwick Pantagraph was issued September 19, 1935, in commemoration of the incorporation of the Sedgwick Methodist Church on October 22, 1875.
The history of the Holy Trinity Catholic Church of Paola was briefly sketched in The Western Spirit, Paola, September 20, 1935. The church held special services October 10 in observance of the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding.
A five-column illustrated history of the Coldwater Methodist Episcopal Church was published in The Western Star, of Coldwater, September 20, 1935. The church was organized in April, 1885.
Barton county's rural teachers for the 1935-1936 term were named in the Hoisington Dispatch September 26, 1935. Early Altamont history as recorded in the city's first minute book was briefly recounted in the Altamont Journal October 3, 1935. The city was incorporated in September, 1884.
A series of articles on pioneer days in Kingman county as written by P. J. Conklin, early Kingman newspaperman in the fall of 1915 for The Leader-Courier, Kingman, was republished in issues dated from October 11 to November 15, 1935, inclusive.
Trego county teachers for the 1935-1936 school term were named in the Western Kansas World, Wakeeney, October 17, 1935.
The fiftieth anniversary of the dedication of the present Solomon Methodist Episcopal church building was celebrated October 25. 1935. A brief history of the organization, including names of pastors serving the church from 1870 to date, was published in the Solomon Tribune October 24. A more detailed history of the church by Ethel Vanderwilt followed in the Tribune in its issues of November 7 and 14.
Salem Lutheran Church of Lenexa celebrated its golden jubilee October 27, 1935. A history of the church as read at the anniversary meeting by the Rev. George W. Busch , pastor, was published in the Olathe Mirror and The Johnson County Democrat in their issues of October 31.
Life in early-day Rooks county as recalled by Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Hebrew, who came to Kansas in 1872, was published in W. F. Hughes' column "Facts and Comments" in The Rooks County Record, of Stockton, October 31 and November 7, 1935. The county's first election in 1872 was discussed in another article printed in the latter issue.
The killing of Stafford county's last wild buffalo in 1879 was described in the Topeka Daily Capital November 24, 1935.
Twenty-five years of reporting for the Bonner Springs Chieftain were recalled by Mrs. Frances Zumwalt Vaughn, its editor, in the issue of November 28, 1935.
"Memories of Four Mile in the Early Eighties," was the title of a one-column article by Ed A. Smies, of Manhattan, appearing in The Times, of Clay Center, December 26, 1935.
The history of the Quinter Church of the Brethren was sketched in The Gove County Advocate, of Quinter, December 26, 1935. The church was organized August 14, 1886.
"A Trip to Kansas and Return," the day-by-day account of Benjamin F. Pearson's journey from Iowa, May 20 to June 27, 1872, was published in the Annals of Iowa, Des Moines, in the January, 1936, issue. Mr. Pearson entered Kansas through Doniphan county and traveled west to Jewell county before returning. A train robbery in Atchison in 1882 was described by Fred E. Sutton in an article printed in the Atchison Daily Globe January 1, 1936.
The Broken Treaty, a story of the Osage country, by W. W. Graves, publisher of the St. Paul Journal, is appearing serially in the Journal starting with the issue of January 2, 1936. The story was issued in book form in December, 1935.
Osborne county's log stockade, constructed in the early 1870's by pioneers for protection against the Indians, was described by Mrs. R. R. Hays in the Topeka Daily Capital January 5, 1936. Frank Rothenberger, of Osborne, is the only oldtimer yet. alive, Mrs. Hays related.
A history of The Empire-Journal, of Osborne, was briefly sketched in its issue of January 16, 1936. The Empire-Journal is a consolidation of the Alton Empire and the Osborne Journal.
Historic spots in Osborne county were mentioned in The Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, January 16, 1936.
Recollections of Atchison in the latter part of the nineteenth century were recorded by Joseph Kathrens, of West Milton, Ohio, in letters printed in the Atchison Daily Globe January 20 and February 17, 1936. St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Clay Center, established fifty-five years ago, observed its anniversary with special services January 23, 1936. The history of the church was reviewed in the Clay Center Dispatch, January 21, The Economist, January 22, and The Times January 23.
"L. H. Thorp Owned First Bicycle Ever Brought to Larned," the Larned Chronoscope reported in its issue of January 23, 1936. The first wheel was made in Pawnee county in 1881 and the first mail-order purchase arrived in the county late in December, 1882.
A history of the Masonic lodge of Larned was briefly sketched in The Tiller and Toiler, Larned, January 23, 1936. The lodge was organized in January 1876.
Several newspapers recently published brief histories of the telephone in their communities. Among these were: The Larned Chronoscope and The Tiller and Toiler, January 23, 1936; Council Grove Republican, January 27; Clifton News January 30, and the Chanute Tribune, February 3. An advertising circular of the Atchison Board of Trade, citing the early advantages of Atchison, was reprinted in the Atchison Daily Globe January 24, 1936. The circular was dated November 1, 1864.
"Buffalo Bill" Cody's life in Kansas-particularly in Leavenworth countywas recounted in the Leavenworth Times January 26, 1936. It has been proposed in Leavenworth to erect a bronze statue honoring Cody on Highway 73, northwest of the city, near the spot where he spent his boyhood days.
The story of the invention of basketball was told in a two-column article printed in the Topeka Daily Capital January 26, 1936. Dr. James A. Naismith, now of Kansas University, devised the game while a staff member of the Y. M. C. A. college at Springfield, Mass. "Kansas Women's Republican Club's Six Years of Service," by Margaret Hill McCarter, was another historical feature of this issue of the Capital.
A horseback ride from Wakefield to Manhattan and back in the winter of 1872 was described by Dr. Charles Hewitt, of Manhattan, in The Economist, of Clay Center, January 29, 1936.
Leavenworth's reception of the news that Kansas had been admitted to the Union was recounted in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star January 29, 1936, under the title "Dan Anthony Scooped His Own Paper When Kansas Entered the Union." Kansas history was reviewed in Kansas Day editions of Topeka's dailies issued January 29, 1936. Articles by Milton Tabor entitled "Highlights of Kansas History From Coronado to Now" and "Mod-
ern Day Topekans Owe Much to Pioneers," were featured in the Daily Capital. In the State Journal special articles on the early history of the Kansas Day Club by Frank S. Crane, Leonard S. Ferry, Charles F. Scott, George A. Clark, Charles M. Harger, Charles S. Elliott and Ewing Herbert were prominently displayed. Titles of other articles included "First Press, 1833," by Eileen Reinhardt; "Topeka in 1861," and "When Kansas Heard `Flash' of Statehood," by George A. Root, and "Farm Growth Since 1861 Is Story of Toil."
The history of Kanwaka community, Douglas county, was outlined in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World January 30, 1936. The sketch was a review of a paper presented by Mrs. Nellie Colman Brigsby at a meeting of the Douglas County Historical Society on January 29.
Histories of Summerfield and its newspaper, the Sun, were briefly reviewed in the Summerfield Sun January 30, 1936.
Spearville's history was reviewed by Carol Jean Nelson in the Spearville News January 30, 1936.
Pleasant Hour Club of Paola observed the sixtieth anniversary of its founding at a meeting held January 30, 1936. The history of the organization was sketched in The Miami Republican, of Paola, January 31.
The Leon News' "Fifth Annual M. E. Booster Edition," featuring histories of the church and city, was issued January 31, 1936.
Le Roy Methodist Church history was reviewed in the Le Roy Reporter January 31, 1936. The congregation was regularly established as the Le Roy mission in 1858.
"Chronology of the Farmer's Ten Years of Existence in Rolla," by A. B. Edson, and "Morton County Pioneers Recall the Early History of Morton County," as compiled by Bertha Carpenter, were feature articles of The Morton County Farmer, of Rolla, January 31, 1936.
Celebrating Kansas' seventy-fifth birthday, the Graduate Magazine of the University of Kansas at Lawrence issued a "Kansas Day Number" in February, 1936. "Kansas Before the Indians," by Kenneth K. Landes, and "Some Notes on the University's Progress," by Fred Ellsworth, were features.
A sawmill boiler explosion in Leavenworth county in 1861 which fatally injured eight men was recalled in the Leavenworth Times February 2, 1936.
The Kansas City Kansan issued its special "1936 Yearly Progress Edition" February 2, 1936, observing the fifteenth anniversary of the taking over of the Kansan by the present management, the fiftieth anniversary of the city of Kansas City, and the seventy-fifth anniversary of the state.
Instances of American Indian tribes sanctioning public ownership of utilities, free public school systems, woman's suffrage, fraternal organizations and prohibition were related by Grant W. Harrington in a letter published in The Masonic News, of Kansas City, February 7, 1936.
Two articles contributed by George J. Remsburg to the Leavenworth Times and published in recent issues were: "A Century Ago in and Around Leavenworth," appearing February 9, 1936, and "Kapioma, a Kickapoo Chief Killed by Texas in the '60's," printed February 14.
A history of the Holyrood Gazette was reviewed by John Russmann, editor, in the issue of February 12, 1936. An article on the origin of the city's name was another feature of this edition.
Stockton's old log hotel built in 1871 by Joseph McNulty was mentioned by W. F. Hughes in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, February 13, 1936.
Pioneer memories of James Barton, of Cuba, who settled i^ Republic county in 1871 were published in the Belleville Telescope February 13, 20, and 27, 1936. "Tracing the March of Coronado Through Kansas to Find His Tomb in Mexico," as told by Paul Jones, of Lyons, to A. B. MacDonald, was the title of an article printed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star February 16, 1936.
Highlights in the history of the Frankfort Daily Index, founded on February 26, 1906, were recounted by Jim Reed in the Topeka State Journal February 20, 1936. H. H. and A. P. Hartman, sons of F. M. Hartman, one of the co-founders, are the publishers.
The history of School District No. 66 near Summerfield was outlined in the Summerfield Sun February 20, 1936. District 66 was formed from a division of Districts 47 and 22 in 1885.
"Great frauds in connection with the adoption of the Lecompton constitution came to light through the revelations of Charlie Torry," the Kansas City (Mo.) Times reported in a two-column illustrated article appearing in its issue of February 21, 1936. Tony, who was a clerk in the office of the surveyor general at Lecompton, witnessed the hiding of fraudulent election returns and revealed their whereabouts in time for the subsequent publicity to prevent the adoption of the constitution by Congress.
Several letters describing Clay Center's street cars which were operated in the late 1880's were published in the Clay Center Dispatch starting February 24, 1936.
The Pratt Daily Tribune printed a forty-four page "Yearly Progress Edition" February 26, 1936, featuring stories and photographs of Pratt's leading institutions and business houses and pictures of several prominent citizens. A "Cornerstone Edition" of the Caldwell Daily Messenger was issued February 26, 1936, announcing the program for the cornerstone laying of Caldwell's new city building on February 27. "City Founded 65 Years Ago by Wichita Group" and "Oil Found Here After 40 Years" were the titles of two historical articles in the edition.
Some of the more important historical documents and collections preserved by the Kansas State Historical Society were discussed by Cecil Howes in a two-column article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times March 6, 1936. Included among other recent articles by Mr. Howes were: "Eighty Years Ago 'Beecher's Bibles' Made Their Appearance in Kansas," published in the Times, February 26, and "Marker Bought for Site of Lone Tree Indian Massacre in Southwest Kansas," in the Star of March 28.
Linn history was sketched by Mrs. Vern Sizemore in a paper delivered at a recent meeting of the Linn Study Club and published in the Linn-Palmer Record February 28, 1936. Linn, which was established in 1877, was originally called Summit.
Henry W. Kandt's reminiscences of early-day Kansas and Dickinson county in particular were related in the Abilene Daily Reflector February 29. 1936. Mr. Kandt arrived in the territory in 1859.
"Rise and Fall of Most Famous `Ghost Town' in Kansas," was the title of Harold C. Place's brief sketch of Minneola in the March, 1936, issue of Progress in Kansas, published at Topeka.
Included among the historical articles printed in recent issues of the Pony Express Courier, of Placerville, Calif., were: "Curing Buffalo Meat," by John G. Ellenbecker, "Guittard Station and Its Founder," and "Abe Lincoln (while in Atchison in 1859) Made Jack Slade Laugh," in the March, 1936, number; "The Pony Express Service and Harry Roff," by Frances Fairchild, and "Daniel Montgomery Drumheller," a Pony Express rider, by John G. Ellenbecker, in the April issue. "The Father of Governor Landon Points With Paternal Pride" was the title of a five-column interview A. B. MacDonald had with John M. Landon published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star March 1, 1936.
Notes on the history of the Republican party in Kansas, and biographical sketches of several prominent members of the party, past and present, were included in a special thirty-two page Republican supplement issued by the Wichita Beacon March 4, 1936. On April 28 the Beacon issued its Democratic party supplement, featuring biographies of national and state Democratic leaders.
A history of the Wilson State Bank was sketched in the Wilson World March 4, 1936. The bank was chartered July 16, 1886. Twenty-two Republic county ghost towns were named in the Belleville Telescope March 5, 1936.
Marquette Mission Covenant Church observed the thirty-fifth anniversary of its founding March 6 to 8, 1936. A two-column history of the organization by Edwin T. Clemens was published in the Marquette Tribune March 5, 1936. A brief history of Charity Masonic Lodge No. 263 was printed in the Hazelton Herald March 6, 1936. The lodge was organized on June 30, 1885. "Plow Not to Blame for Dust. Storms Say Old-Time Western Kansans," the Kansas City (Mo.) Star reported in its issue of March 9, 1936. The article included quotations from the journals of early explorers who had encountered dust storms in this region.
The route of the Chisholm trail was discussed by T. E. Beck writing in a recent issue of the Grant County Journal, of Medford, Okla.
His observations were reprinted in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle March 11, 1936.
Several Kansans who are prominent in theater or radio professions were named by Phil Zimmerman, of Lindsborg, in a short article published in the Topeka State Journal's radio column March 12, 1936.
Early-day recollections of Anderson county as told by B. F. Reiber to the editor of the Kincaid Dispatch were printed in the Dispatch March 12, 1936. Mr. Reiber settled in eastern Kansas in 1870.
The history of the Beloit Gazette was briefly reviewed in its issue of March 12, 1936. The Gazette is now entering its sixty-fifth year. "How Nova School in Carmi Township Received Its Name," by M. H. Long, was the title of a one-column article in the Preston News March 13, 1936.
The twenty-fifth anniversary of the Independence Methodist Episcopal Church, six miles southeast of Goddard, was observed March 15, 1936. Pictures and a brief history of the church were printed in the Wichita Beacon March 15.
"Orders for Founding Fort on West Bank of Missouri River Issued in March, 109 Years Ago," was the title of an article recounting the early history of Fort Leavenworth in the Leavenworth Times March 15, 1936.
The early history of old Paxico, near present. Paxico, Wabaunsee county, was reviewed by E. B. Chapman in the Topeka State Journal March 19, 1936. Augusta's newspaper history was sketched in the Augusta Journal March 20, 1936. The Journal was founded on March 17, 1887.
Seven families of Amish farmers have moved from their frontier homesteads at Yoder (now an oil producing center) to Iowa. In an interview with members of the settlement Pliny Castanien, Wichita Eagle newsman, relates in the Sunday Eagle of March 22, 1936, that "Tractors, Not Oil, Cause Kansas Amish to Migrate."
The history of the Henry Rohr chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, was reviewed by Mrs. Isabel Mace Gillmore for the St. John News March 26, 1936.