Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Nuckolls County
Produced by Vicky Drake and Loreta J Walker (nee Coe).


Early History | First Things | Pioneer Reminiscences
Indian Troubles

Organization | County Affairs | Railroads, etc.
Superior:  Local Matters | Mills | Biographical Sketches
Nelson:  Churches | Biographical Sketches

Hardy:   Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Elk Precinct

Biographical Sketches: Sherman Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Bohnart Precinct | Alban Precinct | Nora Precinct



A petition to the Governor, praying for an organization, not being responded to, D. W. Montgomery was sent to Lincoln to hasten the work. He obtained an order for an election, which was held the 21st of June, 1871, under the elm tree at Oak Grave, at which thirty-three votes were cast, resulting in the election of the following officers: ---- Naylor, A. Simington, and Joseph Hannum, County Commissioners; A. E. Davis, Probate Judge; Elbridge Downing, Clerk; Willis Henby, Treasurer; R. J. Harmon, Sheriff; Charles Goodwin, County Superintendent of Schools; F. Naylor, Coroner, and D. W. Montgomery, Surveyor.

For two years after the election, all the county business was transacted at the home of D. W. Montgomery, his house being the first frame building erected in the county, the lumber for which was hauled from Marysville, Kan.

The vote on the location of the county seat, in 1874, resulted in favor of Nelson, which is located about the center of the county. There will probably be efforts made to remove the county seat, unless Nelson soon gets a railroad. It is now justly located; but little care for the rights and convenience of others is manifested in county seat troubles.

County Commissioners-- The Commissioners for Elk Creek Precinct have been Adam Simington, Joseph Carlon and B. S. Cumstock; Liberty Creek Precinct, Jonas Hannum, James Crawford, Henry Wehrman and J. F. Schell; Spring Creek Precinct, F. Naylor (elected), Charles Uplinger (appointed), Ira D. Kemmerer, H. G. Miller and C. H. McHugh.

County Clerks-- Elbridge Downing, D. W. Montgomery (by appointment), Joseph Garber, Joseph Van Valin (by appointment), Jacob Ritterbush and J. P. Hammond.

County Treasurers-- Willis Henby, G. D. Follmer and M. L. Fogel.

Probate Judges-- A. E. Davis, A. C. Mayfield, I. N. Atkinson, J. F. Crandell, L. Seely, R. N. Simington and W. R. Knapp.

County Superintendents-- Charles Goodwin, J. B. Nesbitt and H. H. Williams.

County Sheriffs-- R. J. Harmon, J. Downer, C. Long, W. A. Scott, P. C. Morehead.

County Surveyors-- D. W. Montgomery, E. A. D. Parker, A. McReynolds, E. J. Lewis and Aaron McReynolds.

Coroners-- R. M. Aiken, Dr. H. A. Stokes and Dr. H. M. James.

Senators-- None from this county; for this District, M. K. Griggs, Beatrice, J. S. Gilham and C. B. Coon, of Hebron.

Representatives-- J. F. Hendershort, of Hebron, R. N. Simington and J. M. Cook, of Nuckolls County.


The county court house is a small and inadequate building. At every term of court, it is expected the Judge will condemn it.

The county jail is a palace compared with the court house. It is a fine appearing brick structure, costing $10,000, occupying the highest point of ground in the town limits. There are four cells, made of boiler iron, opening into a yard inclosed by three-quarter inch iron bars. The ventilation of the apartments is quite perfect.

On the same square with the jail, space has been left for the erection of a suitable court building.

The county has always been Republican; but the first election especially and the first two or three thereafter were free from political expression. The county has more well-to-do farmers in it, for its age, than any county in Southern Nebraska; but, politically speaking, it is in a worse condition than any of them at present. From some trivial cause there has been a division in the Republican ranks, and the two factions are most bitterly opposed. At present there seems to be a feud that will for a long time infest the politics of the county. It springs from two opponents, and it is wonderfully strange that a large portion of the people have taken sides and become as bitter against the opposite party as though they were all principals in the controversy.

There were, by the first division, three districts in the county. Nos. 1 and 2 being each twelve miles square, and No. 3, twelve miles wide by twenty long. There are now fifty-five districts and forty-eight schoolhouses. The first schoolhouses in many districts were built of sod, but they have nearly all been supplanted by comfortable frame buildings, and some by substantial stone structures. There are three graded schools, namely: Nelson, Superior and Hardy, and one High School, that of Superior, and three schools that have good libraries of reference. Eleven districts furnish text books, and from the satisfaction given, it is likely that the system will soon be quite generally adopted.

The schools generally are in fair condition. The average wages are $32; and five-sevenths of the teachers are females.


The St. Joe & Western Railroad was completed across the northeast corner of the county in 1872. Although only five miles of the road was in the county, it was of great value to the northern half, as it gave them a market within twenty miles. Edgar, a town one-half mile north of the north line of the county, received trade from Kansas to a distance of 125 miles, until the completion of the Republican River branch of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, in 1881.

The last-named road passes along the southern boundary, twenty miles of which are in the county. This is the most important road the county is likely to ever receive, as it gives a direct route to an east and west market, the latter of which, for some time, is likely to be the better. There is some prospect of a north and south road soon, through the center of the county.

There are four stage lines, one daily from Superior to Edgar, in Clay County, one from Nelson to Hardy, from Nelson to Hebron, Thayer County, and from Nelson to points in Webster County. The last three are tri-weekly, and all carry mail and passengers.

An agricultural society has been organized, and several fairs held at Nelson. They have only been moderately successful, owing to the small population of the county. But being centrally located, it is likely that in a few years they will equal their more favored rivals that enjoy with a larger population a railroad.

Since the organization, the county has not been visited with any severe storms as have some of its neighbors, and since 1860, there has not been a compete drouth.

The grasshoppers, in 1874, were quite as severe here as elsewhere in Nebraska and Kansas. Everything was destroyed except the early grains--wheat and oats.


Number of horses, 2,372, value, $167,895; cattle, 6,057, value, $179,145; mules, 266, value, $21,225; sheep, 3,392, value, $13,353; hogs, 11,599, value, $52,352; carriages and wagons, 808, value, $29,229; agricultural implements, value, $30,315; moneys and banks, $18,664; credits, $22, 845; household goods, $22,170; investments in real estate, $30,351; railroads, $105,783; telegraph, $18,225.

Improved lands, acres, 44,357, value $426,048; unimproved lands, acres, 281,424, value, $708,661; town lots, 2,140, value, $47,841. Total valuation about $3,000,000. Acres in wheat, 8,193; acres in corn, 15,245; acres in oats, 1,738. Fruit trees, 16,967; grape vines, 19,230; forest trees, 223,661.

Population according to the census of 1880; Alban Precinct, 120; Beaver Precinct (including village of Superior, 458), 642; Bolnart Precinct (including village of St. Stephens, 18), 405; Elk Precinct, 588; Nelson Precinct (including village of Nelson, 196,) 898; Liberty Precinct, 400; Nora Precinct, 208; Sherman Precinct, 493; Spring Creek Precinct, 237; Spring Valley Precinct, 244. Total, 4,234.

By the census of 1880, the county had 4,234 population, but the present population if about 5,000.


The date of the organization of the county, 1871, is properly the commencement of the growth of the county, as those that organized it had been here only a short time before the perfected its title as a distinct corporation.

The growth since then has been steady, substantial and permanent. Compared to its population it perhaps has more well-improved farms than any other of the southern tier of counties. One detriment to the county is that so large a portion of the lands is owned by speculators. An Irishman by the name of Sculley owns about forty thousand acres, most of which is in a body.

It has three promising towns that have grown to their present sizes in from two to six years.

The people are intelligent, industrious and enterprising, generally religious, and especially interested in education.

The increase in wealth is largely due to railroad facilities and the land being first purchased by speculators, placing it beyond the reach of those without capital. Hence but a small portion of the farms are mortgaged. With beautiful rolling prairies and fertile valleys, unlimited water-power and an excellent class of settlers, the prospect of Nuckolls County is flattering.


This is the largest town in the county, beautifully situated in the southern part, on the bluffs of the Republican River, about fifty feet above the level of that stream. The view, extent and beauty of scenery cannot be surpassed in the county. The meandering river can be seen for many miles to the east and west, and its bordering bluffs, in certain seasons of the year, present a picture at once interesting and picturesque. There is nothing more than ordinary about the town, owing to its youthfulness. The site is desirable, and in years when broad streets fringed with a luxurious growth of shade trees and lined with more pretentious residences, and the small wooden store buildings, the germ of every new and untried town, give way to solid and ornamental business blocks, it will be an envied town, and, judging from its past prosperity, it will not be many years before this fancied picture will be a reality; in truth, steps have already been taken to fulfill a part of the provisional picture, as in the past year one $5,000 residence was erected upon the brow of the bluff.

A survey of the town site was made in 1875, and a petition for a village organization granted by the Board of County Commissioners August 4, 1879. For 1879, the board appointed the following Trustees: A. C. McCorkle, Chairman; M. L. Fogel, Clerk; V. H. Kendall, E. N. Snodgrass and H. O. T. Boodstone. In 1880, the following Trustees were elected: W. S. Bloon, Chairman; George E. Banks, Clerk; John Convers, F. N. Brakaw, J. H. Bliven and Sid Zimmerman; Mr. Banks was appointed Clerk. 1881, A. Beal, Chairman, S. Zimmerman, N. Leach, J. Barnett, S. E. House, T. P. Bonnell, Clerk. 1882, A. Beal, Chairman, N. Leach, R. N. Simmonton, T. A. Meaker and T. P. Bonnell, Clerk. The Board of Trustees have fixed the liquor license at $500.

The population is about seven hundred and fifty.


The people of Superior have taken a deep interest in education, not for their children, because they are ignorant, but because they by experience have learned the value of knowledge, and have come from communities where good schools were first and uppermost. The people are intelligent and enterprising.

The Main School building, costing about $300, in situated in the eastern part of town, is a handsome structure, and contains three departments. The High School, the only one in the county, occupies a separate building on Main Street. T. P. Coin, who has been Principal for some time, is one of the most able instructors we have met in the State. He has a splendid education and the other more necessary qualities needed to make a successful teacher. The success of the schools at present are largely due to his efforts.

There are four religious organizations in the place, only one of which has erected a church edifice. We got the impression that the place was rather religious, and that Nelson and the county seat was the center of the religious element of the county. Although Nelson is perhaps the center, Superior is not an irreligious town, we found after investigation. The denominations are Reformed Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist and Christian.

The Reformed Presbyterian was organized in October, 1881, and has at present about forty members. They worship with the Methodists. Rev. R. C. Allen is their first and only pastor.

Rev. D. Johnston organized the Baptist in 1879. The membership is about twenty. Rev. H. D. Babcock was their last pastor. They are without a pastor, and have no church building.

The Methodist Episcopal organized in the fall of 1878, being the first in the town. Rev. Mr. Morrison collected the first class, consisting of seven, which has increased to forty-eight. They have just competed a $1,600 church. The pastors have been Revs. S. S. Censer, M. L. Stover, C. B. Linfest, and the present is Rev. A. G. Blackwell.

The Superior Guide is an ably edited seven-column folio weekly newspaper. It was established in April, 1879, by J. H. Graves, who has continued to edit it ably as a Republican newspaper. North of Superior, for ten or twelve miles, there are no settlements, the land being owned by speculators On this account, the paper has not had as good a circulation as it deserves, for it labors in the interest of the county.

A lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows is the only secret society in the place. It was organized in 1881, and has a small membership. Its principal officers are: G. L. Day, N. G.; L. B. Adams, V. G.; A. Beal, Secretary; C. Shear, Treasurer.

The Bank of Superior was established in March, 1880, by C. E. Adams, H. N. Bradshaw and W. S. Bloom; is the only bank in the place. It has a good business in general banking and real estate. The country is new, as is the bank, but it has received the confidence of the people.

The Superior House is the best, in fact, the only hotel in the place, and enjoys all the traveling trade.


Owing to the shifting channel of the Republican River, it is not a good mill stream, although it has a large and steady flow of water. But, by digging a race about a mile and a half in length, ten feet deep, and forty wide, the Guthrie Brothers have secured the best water-power in the State of Nebraska. At the head of the race, they have constructed a pile-dam one foot high, which gives them thirteen feet head, with a sufficient flow of water to propel over five hundred horse-power wheels. There is no danger of the dam being carried away by ice gorges nor high water, and the mouth of the race is protected with floor gates to regulate the flow of water. Their mill, provided with three buhrs, and apparatus for making patent flour, cost about $25,000, including the construction of the dam and race.

An Indian battle is supposed to have some time been fought on the present site of Superior, judging from the Indian war relics discovered there.

Since the completion of the Republican Valley Branch of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, the town has grown rapidly, receiving over one-third of its population, and more than trebling its business.

With its excellent water-power, and proximity to large sheep ranches, it is likely soon to become quite a manufacturing town. It is the best located town in the county, and, with its present start and advantages, it is probable that it will always remain the metropolis of Nuckolls County.


A. BEAL, merchant, firm of Beal Bros., was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1848, remaining there until nineteen years of age. In 1867, emigrated to Iowa, locating in Marion County, where he engaged in farming until 1871, and sold out and came to Nebraska, locating in Webster County, taking a homestead three miles west of Guide Rock. Improved his farm, and lived there until 1876, when he sold out and went to Crete, Saline County. The following spring, came to Superior, Nuckolls County, and, in company with Mr. Corkle, put up a building and put in a stock of general merchandise, and continued in the business until 1880. He sold out and put up a store building 20x100 feet, and put in a fine stock of goods, and has built up a trade that he might well be proud of. Mr. Beal is public-spirited, and has taken a lively interest in the town. His business has more than doubled since he came here, and he is one of the men who helped to build up the town. Was married, in 1868, to Miss M. J. Tidrick, of Ohio. They have three children--Annie M., Charles S. and Robert A. Was married, in 1876, at Red Cloud, Neb., to Miss Martha Crowell. They have two children--Earl and Iva Lulu. Is a member of the Valley Lodge, No. 87, I. O. O. F., of Superior. Is the present Chairman of the Village Board.

L. U. BEAL, stock-dealer, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1852, remaining there until 1870, when he went to Iowa, locating in Marion County, remaining there about one year; thence to Nebraska, and located at Guide Rock; then went up to Frontier County and took a homestead, but soon after returned to Guide Rock and ran a small blacksmith shop, and also dealt in stock some. In the spring of 1873, engaged in the stock business in Spring Valley, remaining there about two years; from there came to Superior, and, in company with McCorkle, bought and shipped cattle and hogs up to the lst of January, 1882; has also been engaged in stock-raising more or less during this time; is handling from five hundred to one thousand head of cattle per annum, and is shipping about one car of hogs per week; has two sections, or 1,280 acres, of land for pasture, or range, as it is called; this is leased for this purpose; has three and a half acres for feed-yards, with windmill and tanks for furnishing water; the yards are also on the mill-race, thus affording running water for his stock; also has 160 acres of land about one mile from the village of Superior, lying over the line in Kansas; this has about one hundred acres into crops. Mr. Beal also has a fine residence, put up at a cost of $2,000, nicely situated. Was married, in 1882, at White Rock, Republic Co., Kan., to Miss Cora Bell Pecht. Is a member of Valley Lodge, No 87, I. O. O. F., of Superior.

W.. S. BLOOM, Cashier of Bank of Superior, was born in Illinois in 1843. In 1853, his parents moved to Wisconsin, locating in Green County, at the city of Monroe. He remained at home the most of the time until 1862, when he enlisted in the Thirty-first Wisconsin Infantry, serving three years in the Cumberland Army, serving the most of the time as Sergeant Major, a non-commissioned staff officer, returning home in 1865. Engaged as salesman in a hardware store until 1869, when he engaged in the hardware trade at Monroe, remaining in the business ten years. In 1879, came to Nebraska, locating at Superior, Nuckolls County, and, in company with C. E. Adams and H. M. Bradshaw, opened a bank at Superior the following year--C. E. Adams, President; H. M. Bradshaw, Vice President; and Mr. Bloom, Cashier. In 1868, he was married to Miss Mary P. Treat. They have two children--George T. and John S. Is a member of the following societies; A. O. U. W.; Valley Lodge, No. 87, I. O. O. F., of Superior.

J. H. GRAVES, editor of the Superior Guide, was born in Washington County, N. Y. in August, 1842. Received a common-school education. Published Midland (N. Y.) Times and Otselic Valley Record (Cincinnatus, N. Y.) until 1878, when he came West for health and profit, and established his present paper, which he conducts in an able manner.

DAVID GUTHRIE, Superior Mills, was born in Canada in 1846; was brought up on a farm and worked at the business until 1878, when he came to Nebraska and went in company with his brother, who had put up the Superior Flouring Mills, the mill being about ready for business when he arrived. The mill was put up at a cost of about $20,000. One year afterward the dam washed away and they were at an extra expense of $1,500 to get it repaired, again, in 1881, the dam washed out in such a shape that they were obliged to change it and put in a race one and one-half miles in length, which cost about $9,000, and by so doing have at least a 500-horse-power, with only eighteen inches dam in river. Again, in the spring of 1882, the head-gate washed away and they were at an expense of $300 more to get the mill in running order, which they did in an exceedingly short time and think they have it in shape to withstand high water, and are making arrangements to put in another run of stone and a three-reeled bolting chest, and when it is completed it will make one of the most complete mills in the State. They are deserving of a great deal of praise for the determination which they have shown in their misfortunes, and Superior ought to be proud of such live and enterprising citizens. Mr. G. also owns an interest in a grocery store with another brother. He was married to Miss Jennet Brown in 1872. They have five children--Maggie, David, Jesse, Geanie, Ella. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

ALEX HUNTER, merchant, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1830. In 1843, he emigrated to American and remained in New York City about nine months, going from there to Canada, where he remained three years. He then returned to the United States and traveled around from State to State, going as far south as Mexico and landing in Davenport, Iowa, in 1854, remaining there until 1856, when he again went West and located at Florence, Douglas Co., Neb., and there engaged in the general merchandise business and put up a small saw and grist mill and continued in this business until 1875, when he sold out and settled in Nuckolls County and put in a stock of general merchandise at Superior, this being the first stock of goods in the place, in a building 20x42 feet. His business having increased, he now has a building 20x56, using two stories and basement. His business has increased about 100 per cent. Is also engaged in farming; has 300 acres under cultivation, and has 620 acres more, which he will improve if he finds farming will pay. He was married, in 1860, at Florence, Neb., to Miss Jennie M. Ecford, of that place. They have three children--William, Alex and Leroy. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

S. F. LATHAM, Postmaster, was born in Mason County, Ky., in 1838, remaining there until 1869, when he emigrated to Iowa, remaining there until 1875, when he came to Nebraska, locating in Saline County; the following year he came to Nuckolls County and settled in Superior in January, 1880, was appointed Postmaster, superseding M. L. Fogel. He was married, in 1877, to Miss Mary Bunch.

WILLIAM LOUDON, real estate dealer and founder of the town of Superior, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, January 18, 1849, and, at the age of six years, emigrated with his grandparents to Hancock County, Ill., where he resided till the spring of 1871, when he came to Nebraska, taking a homestead adjoining the present town of Superior. In 1872, he was appointed Postmaster, serving in that capacity five years, resigning the office in 1877. Mr. L. was Assessor of the southern portion of the county (Nuckolls) for a number of years. Also a member of the School Board. In 1874, he purchased, among other lands, the southeast quarter of Section 26, Town 1 north, of Range 7 west, upon which he founded the town of Superior, the town plat being filed for record June 5, 1876. In 1880, Mr. L. and A. M. Collett, Esq., of Omaha, joint owners of the southwest quarter of Section 25, Town 1, Range 7, caused the same to be surveyed into lots, platted and recorded as East Superior. Mr. Loudon was married to Miss Maude A. Scroggs, of Anamosa, Iowa, May 18, 1880. They have one son--Max Allen, born December 19, 1881.

C. H. McHUGH, stock dealer was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., in 1843; in 1846, went to Washington County, remaining there until 1859; from there he went to Massachusetts, remaining there until 1864, then to New York State, and enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-third New York Infantry, serving until the close of the war. Was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and was one of those detailed to forage for his company, and known as Sherman's Bummers, there being one taken from each company. In 1867, he emigrated to Clayton County, Iowa, and from there to Dubuque County, and kept hotel there one year. In 1870, he went o Osborne County, Kan., and took a homestead, which he improved and lived on for five and a half years. Was engaged freighting a part of the time while there. His wife was the first white woman in this precinct, comprising three townships, McHugh, being the first settler who took a homestead and lived on it in this part of the county. For the first two years, he never left the house without his wife and gun, as they were afraid the Indians would raid them at any time. There were plenty of buffaloes and antelope on the prairies when he located his land. In 1876, he settled in Nuckolls County, Neb., one mile from Superior, on Section 36, and has been engaged in raising, buying and shipping stock. In the fall of 1880, he was elected County Commissioner for a term of three years. In 1869, was married to Miss Emma Young, of Delaware County, Iowa. They have two children--Harry and Jennie. Is a member of Valley Lodge, No. 87, I. O. O. F.; is also a member of the Masonic order.

T. J. PADDEN, merchant, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1848. In 1850, his parents moved to Iowa, and settled in Chickasaw County. His father, Frederick Padden, laid out the town of Fredericksburg, and put up the first hotel in the place, and put up a saw and grist mill. T. J. was brought up in the hotel business until 1870, when he and his brother went into the hardware business, remaining there eight years. In 1878, came to Nebraska, and ran a hotel at Hebron one year. The following year, came to Nelson, and went into the hardware trade. Has added a tin shop and a line of farm machinery; has had a good trade, and sales being more than doubled. Has a building 35x55 feet. Was married, in 1872, to Miss Velira A. Babcock, of New Hampton, Iowa. They have three children--F. H., C. E. and Guy. Is a member of Hebron Lodge, A., F. & A. M. Has been School Treasurer of this place.

HON. R. N. SIMONTON, attorney and real estate dealer, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1830; remained at home; he went to New Orleans, and from there to Virginia, remaining one summer at work in a brickyard in Brooke County, then went to the northern part of the State and spent the winter, and the following year went to Washington County, Penn., and learned the cabinet trade, remaining there six years; thence to Harrison County, Ohio, and opened a cabinet shop there, and remained about thirteen years; then to Chicago, where he remained five years in the school furniture business; from there he went to Iowa, locating in Carroll County. Here he worked at his trade and improved a farm. In 1872, came to Nebraska, and took a homestead in Nuckolls County, on Section 10 Town 4 north, of Range 7 west, remaining there until 1877, when he sold out and opened a law and land office in Superior. He commenced reading law when he first began learning his trade, and was admitted to the bar in 1880. In 1880, he was elected County Judge, and before his time expired was elected as Representative for his district. Was married, in 1848, in Washington County, Penn., to Miss L. H. Rankin, of that place. They have eight children--Alexander, Thomas, Charlie, Ivan, Dora, Lillie, Ida and one grand-daughter which they call their own. Mary C. is a member of Christian Church.

E. M. SNODGRASS, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, in 1855. At the age of eighteen, he commenced the study of medicine at What Cheer, remaining there two years, then went to Page County, and went into an office with an uncle, remaining one year; from there he went to the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, graduating in the spring of 1877, and began the practice of medicine, remaining in Iowa one year. In 1878, located at Superior, Nuckolls County, and has remained here since. In 1880, he bought a half interest in the drug store now owned by Mr. Kesterson, remaining in this business fourteen months, but owing to his practice taking all of his time, was obliged to give up the drug business. In 1878, he was married, at Redding Iowa, to Miss Henrietta Wyatt, of that place. They have one daughter--Lizzie May. Is a member of Kansas State Medical Society.

S. TIMERMAN, proprietor of Superior House, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1847. In 1851, he went to Illinois, locating in Henry County. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B, Ninth Illinois Cavalry, serving until the close of the war. In 1869, came to Nebraska, locating in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming; in 1872, took a homestead in Jewell County, Kan., and lived there five years; he then came back to Nebraska, and put up a hotel at Superior; the house is 49x50; has fourteen sleeping rooms; there is a large dining room and kitchen, parlor, office and sample room on the first floor. The house is centrally located, and all who stop there will find Mr. Timerman a genial landlord; was married in 1874, at Nemaha City, Neb., to Miss Sarah Shuck. They have two children--George A. and Albert E.; is a member of Valley Lodge, No. 87, I. O. O. F., of Superior.

H. H. WILLIAMS, County Superintendent, was born in Center County, Penn., in 1835; received a common school education, then took a course at the Flemington Normal School in Center County, and in 1856 commenced teaching; taught four years, and then went to Morgan County, Ill., remaining there until 1876, and was engaged in teaching. In 1876, emigrated to Nebraska, locating four and one-half miles east of Superior, on Section 33, Town 1, Range 6, and has improved a farm; taught two years in Nebraska, and in 1877 was elected County Superintendent, and re-elected in 1879, and again in 1881. Mr. Williams devotes his time to the school interests of the county, and has proved a good man for the place. When he was first elected, there were but thirty districts, now there are fifty-five, a gain of nearly 100 per cent; married in 1875, at Jacksonville, Morgan Co., Ill., to Miss Sarah Hunt. They have two daughters--Alice and Grace. He is a member of the Baptist Church.

H. W. YOUNG, breeder of fancy poultry, was born in Canada in 1846. In 1854, his parents moved to De Kalb County, Ill., where they remained until 1857, when they moved to Fillmore County, Minn. In 1861, Mr. Young moved to Grundy County, Iowa, and engaged in farming. In 1868, went to Missouri, locating in Atchison County, and worked at wagon-making, and began breeding fancy poultry, remaining there until 1879, when he came to Nebraska, and located in Thayer County, and brought about 100 chickens of different breeds with him, but that winter the minks got into his chicken house and destroyed all but one. He then sent to W. H. Todd, of Ohio, being the most successful breeder of fancy poultry in the West, and got a few choice chickens, among which were two pair of Cochins, one pair of white, and one pair buff Cochins, one pair of Plymouth Rocks, one pair white crested black Polish, one pair brown Leghorns, one pair white Guineas, one pair Pekin Ducks, and now has about seventy-five in all, but will increase to several hundred during the year; has a chicken house 8x100 feet, and arranged to give them plenty of light and air, keeping the house and yard as clean as possible; will have a good many to dispose of during the fall of 1882; has sold a few pair which have brought him in an average of $2.75 per pair; one lot of six brought him $14.50. Mr. Young has had about six years' experience, and intends to make this one of the industries Superior will be proud of; also owns the Superior Billard Hall; carries a fine line of confectionery, tobacco and cigars, and was married in 1865, to Miss E. J. Alford, of Iowa. They have five children--Martha, Elmer, Eugene, Jennie, May and Carried.

Top of Page   First Page   Next

County Index