Furnas County | Early History
County Organization and County Seat Difficulties
Farming | Stock-Raising | Flouring Mills
Crimes and Criminals | An Indian Scare
First Schools and Church Services
Present Condition of the County
Beaver City: Early History
Beaver City of To-day | Biographical Sketches
Cambridge: Biographical sketches
Arapahoe: Biographical Sketches
This town is the county seat of Furnas County, and is located on the level valley lands of Beaver Creek. The location is a pleasant one and not only that, but is in the center of one of the richest portions of the county.
The settlement of the town dates from October 9, 1872, when it was located by J. H. McKee. This site was selected the spring previous by McKee and Struve as a favorable one for a town, but McKee spent the few succeeding months in looking about for the most favorable point, and finally returned to the present site of Beaver City, where he located the town on the date above mentioned. He was at once joined by his partner in business, R. Denham, and they began the erection of a store on the town site.
The above-mentioned settlers were soon followed by J. N. and M. R. Hadley, Frank H. Nicholson, T. M. Williams and C. A. Danforth.
As the settlement of the southern part of the county progressed, in the same proportion did the settlement and improvement of the new town of Beaver City go on. From the first the town thrived and it was not long before it was one of the two villages of the county.
The post office was established soon after the location of the town, in the fall of 1872, but there was no postal route established until the next year. In the meantime, the mail was brought here by some one of the settlers, who took turns in going to Alma, twenty-five miles distant, for it each Sunday. In a short time, a carrier was hired and paid by subscription until the establishment of a Government route, in the spring of 1873. C. A. Danforth was the first Postmaster.
At the election for the organization of the county, Beaver City was one of the two voting places named in the Governor's proclamation and was with Arapahoe contesting for the location of the county seat. For reasons named on another page in the history of Furnas County, the former place was made the first county seat. But at the first general election, in October, 1873, by a vote of the people, it was located at Beaver City, at which place it has ever since remained.
The first store, and the first building as well, was begun at once upon the location of the town by McKee & Denham, who brought in a stock of goods and opened the store, November 1, 1872.
The first sermon preached in the town was in July, 1873 by Dr. G. A. Hobson, in the old "Valley Hotel." A good congregation was in attendance. The first Sunday school was established in 1873, and has been constantly kept up. It now has a very large attendance.
In the years 1873 and 1874, a grist-mill was built on Beaver Creak, near the town, by Monell & Lashley.
The first school was taught in the summer of 1874 in a loosely-built board structure by Miss Millie Wilson. After this the school was kept up regularly. The present substantial schoolhouse was built in the fall of 1877.
The first marriage in Beaver City was that of J. A. Gibson and Miss Mary Wilson, and the ceremony was performed on the 2d day of July, 1874.
The first and only church building was completed in the summer of 1880, and belongs to the Presbyterians. The above society was organized on August 20, 1874, and now has a membership of twenty-six. Their church edifice is a fine one, being 36x48 feet in size, built in Gothic style and nicely finished. In building this they were aided by the other church societies who occupy it for religious services.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1875, and now has a large and constantly increasing membership.
The Baptist Church was organized some years ago, and now has a very good membership, which is steadily increasing.
Beaver City has a number of stores doing a good business. Almost all branches of trade are represented. From the fact of not being on the line of railroad, the population is now only about 500, but it may be said to be a prosperous little village, and, being the county seat, brings sufficient patronage to insure its prosperity.
There is but one newspaper published in the town. This is the Beaver City Times, edited and published by A. T. Bratton. It is Republican in politics, a bright and newsy paper and has a large circulation.
THOMAS R. ARMSTRONG, druggist, was born in Greenville, Bond Co.., Ill., February 3, 1848, and reared on a farm. He was educated at McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill, attending there in all some three years, after which he taught school in various parts of the State. He came to Nebraska in April, 1872, and was for three years engaged in general merchandise business at Fairbury. In February, 1875, he moved to Beaver City, and at once engaged in this business in a very small way. He has, however, done well, and now carries a fine stock of about $3,000. On November 6, 1875, in company with W. E. Crutcher, he established the first newspaper published in the county, namely, the Western Leader, and sold out his interest three years later.
N. M. AYERS, meat market and grocery, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, June 12, 1846, and was reared on a farm in Vernon County, Wis. In 1864, he entered the employ of the U. S. Quartermaster, and worked as a mechanic in Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta for some six months, after which he engaged in the produce business at Manchester, Iowa, where he remained for seven years. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1872, and homesteaded 160 acres in Furnas County, on which he resided for seven years, engaged in farming and raising stock. In May, 1879, he came to Beaver City and established a meat market, adding the grocery department in October, 1880. Mr. Ayers was elected County Clerk at the organization of the county in April, 1873, holding the office until the following fall, and elected Sheriff in 1875; term of office, two years.
ALCINOUS T. BRATTON, editor of the Beaver City Times, was born in Eden, Williams Co., Ohio, December 24, 1852. He was raised on a farm, and received a common school education. Taught school in the winter of 1869-70. Entered Angola Academy, Steuben Co., N. Y., in the spring of 1870. Taught school in the winter of 1870-71; again entered the above academy in the spring of 1871. Was Principal of the academy in Alvarado, Ind., in 1872-73. Entered the Sophomore class, Hillsdale College, Michigan, in the spring of 1873, and remained until January, 1874, when he became Principal of the academy in Fremont, Ind., until July, 1876. Entered the Law Department, Michigan University, Ann Arbor, in April, 1877. Admitted to the bar at Angola, Ind. Practiced his profession in the latter place until March, 1879. Married to Miss Hattie M. Stevens, October 10, 1877. Moved to Beaver City, Neb., in March 1879. Took up a homestead, and practiced law. Became editor of the Beaver City Times in September, 1879. The following April, in company with John T. Garner, purchased the above paper. He was County Judge, Furnas County, from January, 1881, to January, 1882. Appointed County Attorney on the latter date. They have one daughter--Lillie A., born April 13, 1881.
CRUTCHER & JONES, general merchants. This business was established in April, 1874. They began in a small way with a stock of about $2,000. The business increased largely every year, and a stock of $12,000 is now carried to supply the demands of their trade. W. E. Crutcher, of this firm, was born in Hardin County, Ky., in 1850, and was reared on a farm near Owensboro, Ky. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1872, and was for some time employed as a clerk in the mercantile business at Fairbury, and, on April 13, 1874, he removed to Beaver City, at which time he engaged this business. E. D. Jones, the other member of this concern, was born in Canada in 1853. He came to Nebraska in 1869, and began a business life as a clerk in the mercantile business in Fairbury, where he remained until April, 1874, when he came to Beaver City and entered into this business.
HADLEY BROTHERS, general merchants. This business was established in the fall of 1879, with a stock of $1,500, which on account of increase in trade has been enlarged to about $4,000. Manley R. Hadley, partner in this business, was born in Keokuk, Iowa, in 1850, and reared on a farm. He came to Nebraska in May, 1873, and took up 160 acres in Furnas County. He farmed for several years "off and on," and was also engaged in freighting, etc., to Black Hills, Dak., and largely engaged in sheep-raising. In 1879, he moved to Beaver City, and engaged in this business. J. M. Hadley, his brother, was born in Keokuk, Iowa, in 1852, reared on a farm, and came to Furnas County in May, 1872. He took up 160 acres, and farmed for five years, after which he returned home to Iowa, and farmed there for three years; returning to Nebraska in the fall of 1879; engaged in this business at Beaver City. Both brothers are large farm-land owners, and also own one-half of the town site.
LUCIUS KINSMAN, real estate, loan and collection agent, was born in Williamstown, Vt. in 1830 and was reared on a farm. In 1849, he moved to Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill., where he followed farming. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Infantry, serving until July 11, 1865, returning to his farm in Illinois; remained for two years, and then went to Delaware County, Iowa, and engaged in grain and lumber business, also general merchandise, and was Postmaster for some time at Masonville, that county. He came to Nebraska in January, 1873, homesteaded and timber-claimed 320 acres in Furnas County, and was for some eight years engaged in farming, since which time his sons conduct the farm. He is also largely engaged in sheep-raising. Mr. K. was elected County Judge in 1875, County Clerk in 1877, and re-elected in 1879. He established his present business in January, 1882.
JOHN H. McKEE, Postmaster of Beaver City, Neb., was born in Brookville, Penn., in the year 1831. Soon after his parents moved on a farm, where he was raised to the age of fifteen years, at which time he began business as a clerk in the mercantile business, following it for five years; after which he engaged in the same on his own account for three years; then for several years engaged in conducting a photograph gallery. When the rebellion broke out in 1861, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Infantry, in August 1861; was promoted to First Lieutenant October 7, 1864, and to Captain June 3, 1865, commanding Company A, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers from his first commission to the close of the war; mustered out at Pittsburgh, Penn., July 26, 1865. After returning from the army, he was employed as a clerk in the mercantile business for three years at Frostburgh, Penn. In June, 1868, he came to Nebraska, bought a farm near Lincoln, farmed for three years, sold his farm and for one year clerked in that city. In the latter part of 1872, he came to Furnas County, assisted in laying out the town of Beaver City and engaged in the mercantile business, remaining in the same for about five years, He was first appointed Postmaster in 1873; in the fall of 1874, was elected County Treasurer for a term of two years. His property now consists of one quarter of the town site and 305 acres of land, one-half of it adjoining the town.
FRANK H. NICHOLSON was born in England April 22, 1848; came to America in 1857, and located in Nebraska City, with his parents. Moved to Furnas County in 1872; was Deputy Sheriff of the latter county four years. He followed freighting on the plains to Government Posts and Colorado a number of years. Was Brigade Teamster and Assistant Wagon Master two years during the late rebellion. Married to Miss M. J. Owen, of Wisconsin, in 1868. They have three children--Emma E., Guy and May. The subject of the above sketch is quite largely engaged in stock-raising and farming.
PEAK & PETTIT, dealers in hardware and implements. The business was established in October, 1878, by A. A. Peak, and conducted by him alone until July, 1879, when he admitted F. H. Knowlton, who retired in February, 1881, and H. C. Pettit became a partner in the business. The business was begun in a small way, and has increased until they now carry a stock of about $3,000 and do the largest business in this line in the place. A. A. Peak, the senior member of this firm, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., in 1850, and was reared on a farm and also assisted his father, who was engaged in the lumber business. He came to Nebraska in 1870, and was for two years employed in teaching school in Rock Bluff Precinct, Case County. In 1872, he moved to Franklin County and homesteaded 160 acres, and for six years was engaged in farming and teaching school. Early in 1878, he took up 320 acres of land in Furnas County, and in October of that year came to Beaver City and established this business. In May, 1882, he purchased a stock of furniture and conducts business in that line alone.
W. HOWARD PHELPS, Clerk of Furnas County, was born in Union County, Ohio, in 1857, and was reared on a farm in Mason County, Ill. At the age of sixteen, he began business in Havana, Ill., as a bookkeeper in an implement house, where he remained until June, 1878. He came to Furnas County in August of that year, and homesteaded and timber-claimed 320 acres of land, residing on the same for nearly two years. In January, 1879, he engaged in the implement business at Beaver City; sold out in June following, and was for a short time employed as a book-keeper in the mercantile business. In December, 1880, he went to Chicago, Ill., and was employed in the same capacity for a large manufacturing establishment for seven months. Returning to Beaver City in August, 1881, he was for a few months engaged in the hotel business. He was elected Clerk of the county in November, 1881. He is an efficient Clerk and one of the most popular of the county officers.
This thriving village is situated on the line of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska, and on Medicine Creak, near the point where it empties into the Republican River. It is on a very gentle slope that rises from the bottom lands of the above-named creek and river.
The first settler was Hiram Doing, who settled and entered a homestead claim on the land that now forms a portion of the present town site of Cambridge, in 1871. He built a house near the creek and lived on the land until July, 1878, when he sold it to J. W. Pickle, who the next January began the erection of a saw and grist mill on the west bank of the creek. This was completed in due time and has been in operation ever since.
On purchasing the land in 1878, J. W. Pickle surveyed an laid out a town which was called Northwood. The next settler to locate in this new town was D. W. Rockwell, who built a large sod house, put in a stock of goods and opened a store and hotel therein. This was the only business house in the town until after the completion of the railroad to this point, in May, 1880. A new impulse was now given to the growth of the town, and a large number of business houses were at once commenced. The first frame store was built by J. A. Hanning. The large brick hotel was opened in July by C. C. Messer, the owner of the building.
During the summer of 1880, W. H. Faling and J. E. Fraidley built large stores and opened business with a stock of dry goods and groceries. Delatour & Babcock built a large hardware and furniture store and put in a large stock. This firm also opened a bank of deposit and exchange, under the name of the Republican Valley Bank. Knight & John opened a drug store and Dr. George A. Hobson a dry goods and grocery store.
The first post office was established in 1874 and called Medicine Creek. George Caruthers was the first Postmaster. In 1880, the name of the office was changed to Cambridge.
In the early history of the settlement of this portion of the county a school was organized and has since been kept up. The religious societies are well represented, though there has as yet been no church erected. There is one good newspaper here, established in 1881. On the whole, Cambridge may be considered one of the thriving towns of the county, and its business is constantly increasing.
DELATOUR & BABCOCK, proprietors Republican Valley Bank. They came to Cambridge in April, 1880, erected their present business building and in July opened this bank, and at the same time opened a hardware and implement establishment, in which they carry a stock of $5,000. S. P. Delatour, the senior partner, was born in Platteville, Wis., in 1848, and reared in Kane County, Ill. At twenty-one years of age, he began business life as a clerk in the United States District Court at Helena, Ark., where he remained for seven years, and during the last two years of that period owned and conducted the Phillips County Bank, after which he moved to this point. W. E. Babcock, partner in this firm, was born at Broadalbin, N. Y., in 1845, and reared in Steuben County as a farmer. He began life as a school teacher, following it "off and on" for four or five years. In 1871, he went to Arkansas; in 1872, was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Phillips County and served two years, then engaged in mercantile business at Helena, Ark., until he came here, in April, 1880.
W. H. FALING, general merchant, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1848, and reared on a farm. In 1864, he moved to Fulton County, Ill., and was engaged in farming and school-teaching for about eight years. He then went to Faribault County, Minn., and engaged in the drug business at Winnebago City, in company with N. E. Wheeler, then with L. Hinman, remaining there until he came to Nebraska, in 1874, and was for six years engaged in the general merchandise business at Exeter, Fillmore County, in company with his brother, under the style of Faling Bros. They dissolved in May, 1880, and the subject of this sketch removed his portion of stock to Cambridge. He carries a fine line of general merchandise, worth some $7,000 to $8,000. Mr. F. was appointed B. & M. R. R. lot agent at this place in June, 1880.
JOHN W. PICKLE, real estate, was born in Barry County, Mich., in 1842, and reared near Milwaukee, Wis. He began business life at the age of twenty-one as a school teacher in Worth County, Iowa; followed it, in connection with farming in Iowa and Kansas for some thirteen years. He came to Cambridge in the fall of 1877, and engaged in the mercantile business, conducting it alone for two years, then under the style of A. D. Bonner & Co., until July 1, 1881, when the style changed to Lindsay Bros., and in May, 1882, rented the old stand to Mitchell Bros. In July, 1878, he built a saw-mill at this place, and conducted it up to March, 1882, when he sold it. Mr. P. laid out the site for the town of Cambridge in July 1878, and again in June, 1880, and is a large owner of the same, besides which he has considerable farming property.
F. M. RATHBUN, flour, feed and meat market, was born in Cortland, Ill., December 15, 1849, and reared on a farm until seventeen years of age; then clerked in hotel at Rockford, Ill., and in same capacity at Vicksburg, Miss., for a short time; then employed in various capacities in Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas and New Mexico for some years, and was for four years employed in shipping department of Hoyt Bros., machine-shop and foundries, at Aurora, Ill., after which he taught school for some years in that State. He came to Nebraska in November, 1878, and homesteaded and timber-claimed 320 acres in Frontier County, where he reside for three and one-half years, engaged in farming and raising stock. Was elected surveyor of the county in 1879, and re-elected in 1881. He came to Cambridge early in 1882, and established this business. He carries a stock of about $1,000, and has also fifty head of cattle.
This town is located on the north side of the Republican River, on the gradually inclined slope rising from the bottom lands of the river up to the uplands. It is in the extreme eastern part of the county, near the Harlan County line and on the line of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. The location of the town site is a pleasant one, and is surrounded by a fertile and productive extent of country. As the town was not located until late in the year 1879, at the time the railroad was being constructed up the Republican Valley, it is yet small but steadily growing. As the country around it develops more fully, it promises to become one of the prosperous villages of the county.
The first settlement began in February, 1880. The first settler was E. J. Pease. He was soon followed by E. E. Wild, H. Schmidt and the business firm of Forrest & Pinckney.
The first railroad stake was driven on the town site in October, 1879, and the first engine crossed the Harlan County line into the town February 17, 1880.
The first store was opened by Forrest & Pinckney, in March, 1880.
The post office was established in June, 1880, and first bore the name of Grand View, but has since been changed to Oxford. The first Postmaster was John Burchett.
The first sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Hampton in a hardware store, in June, 1880.
The first marriage was that of Dr. E. B. Guild and Miss Allie L. Rogers.
The first death was that of George Tures, who was accidentally killed October 7, 1881.
There is one lively local newspaper published here. It was established in 1881.
There has been a good school in progress ever since the beginning of the history of the town.
There is yet no church building, but the Baptist have an organization and contemplate building at an early date.
This is the largest town in Furnas County, and is situated on the line of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska, being the largest town on that line between Orleans and McCook. The location is a particularly favorable and pleasant one. It is on the north side of the Republican River on the second bottom lands, and about midway between Elk and Muddy Creeks, which flow into the Republican a short distance apart. On the town site the surface of the land is nearly level, but slopes just enough to insure good drainage, while to the northward the low hills ascend to the upland prairies. As a business point, the location is favorable. It is the principal grain market and shipping point for the entire county. From the north it secures a trade from Frontier, Gosper and other counties, while from the south it is the shipping point for the entire extent of country to the Kansas line. The town is very prosperous and has a population of about 600.
The history of this thriving town begins with the organization of a town company at Plattsmouth, Neb. early in the year 1871, for the purpose of locating and establishing a town somewhere on the Republican River in what is now Furnas County. This town company consisted of Capt. E. B. Murphy, Charles Brown, George W. Love, John Fitzgerald, Dr. W. E. Dowland, D. H. Wheeler, H. M. Crum, George W. Colvin and A. Lashley.
Soon after the organization of the Plattsmouth Town Company, they sent out an exploring and locating party, which consisted of Capt. E. B. Murphy, M. H. Orr, W. R. Colvin, George W. Love, William Cunningham, R. A. Van Arman, H. Taylor and John Hinchman. This party reached the Republican Valley in due time, and, after a long and careful examination of the country, selected the present site of Arapahoe, the most favorable location for the proposed town.
On the return of the exploring party with a favorable report, the company at once took steps to lay out and found a town there. The town was to be called Arapahoe, from the tribe of Indians of that name.
As soon as arrangements could be made, a party was sent out to locate, enter and survey the town site. This party consisted of George W. Love and family, H. M. Crum, Henry Brainard, O. Moreoff , Lewis Davis, W. R. Colvin and George W. Colvin. They arrived at the point where Arapahoe now stands, and, on the 18th day of July, surveyed the town site on the level bottom lands north of the Republican River. On the 9th of August, George W. Colvin raised the frame for the first house on the town site. With the exception of George W. Love and family and W. R. Colvin, who were left to hold the town site and claims, the remainder of the party went East again late in the summer.
During the year 1871, there was no further settlement made on the town site, but early in the spring of 1872, immigration to the county began to increase, and Arapahoe, which was now a post office, with George W. Love, Postmaster, soon became a respectable little village.
In the spring of 1873, when Furnas County was organized, Arapahoe was, upon the canvass of the votes cast at that place, declared by the Secretary of State to be the county seat. Beaver City was a contesting point, but as the returns did not arrive at the office of the Secretary of State until after the day appointed for canvassing the votes, therefore the votes from Arapahoe alone were counted, and that place remained the county seat until the election in October of the same year, when, by a vote of the people, it was removed to Beaver City.
During the year 1873, and the spring of 1874, the town grew until it was one of the flourishing towns of the Republican Valley, but, in the summer of 1874, the grasshoppers ruined the crops of the entire county and business became very dull, and for a time the growth of the town was but very slow. In the years 1875 and 1876, the grasshoppers having destroyed the crops of the county, the building up of Arapahoe was brought almost to a standstill.
For the following years prior to the spring of 1879, the crops of the county had been good, and some improvements in the town were made. But up to this date the town had grown but very little.
Early in 1879, the building of the railroad up the Republican Valley having commenced, and, it being assured that it would soon reach this point, a large number of business and professional men, attracted by the favorable location and advantages held out by this town came here and located and a large number of business houses and residences were erected. So great was the progress that year that by December, the population numbered about 500. During the year 1879, the Furnas County Bank had been established; also a good newspaper, the Pioneer.
In the spring of 1880, the railroad was completed and regular trains began running through this town. The building up of the town continued to progress for some months, and all branches of business were soon represented.
Since the year 1880, the village has continued to thrive, and, notwithstanding the light crops, business has been good, but the town has become but little larger, its population now numbering only about 600.
The different religious societies are now well represented, and the general tone of the citizens is moral. All enterprises of a truly moral or religious character are given liberal encouragement.
From the earliest days of the history of the town, all educational enterprises have received the support of the citizens. The public school was opened at an early date, and has since been sustained in a manner that is creditable to the citizens of Arapahoe.
In the history of the village, there have been but few criminal events, and those have been of a minor character.
The local press is enterprising, and not only that but is truly moral and elevating in its tone, and represented by two able weekly newspapers, the Pioneer and Public Mirror. The Arapahoe Pioneer was established in the above village July 1, 1879, by Fred Boehner, the present editor. It was made the official county paper of Furnas, Gosper and Frontier Counties in 1881, and has a large circulation.
Fred Boehner, editor o the above newspaper, settled in Arapahoe, Neb., in May, 1879. July 1 of the same year, he published the first number of the Pioneer. He has been City Clerk of Arapahoe. Was born December 2, 1858, and was raised on a farm in Oneida County, N. Y.; his parents moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1868, and moved to Malvern, Iowa, in 1870. He began as apprentice n the Malvern Chronicle office, in 1873, where he served three years; became a member of the Printer's Union and foreman of the Malvern Leader. In 1877, he purchased the Chronicle office and removed it to Emerson, Mills Co., Iowa, and was county printer of the latter county three years. During the following three years, in addition to publishing the latter paper, he was on the staff of two Chicago dailies as correspondent, and wrote many accounts of the Western States. He was married, February 3, 1881, to Minnie H. Tomblin, of Chicago, Ill.
The Public Mirror is a weekly newspaper, established in the spring of 1882, and is a bright and sparkling paper, thoroughly up to the times, and has a large circulation. Charles Reed is editor, and he spares no pains to keep his paper up to a high standard of excellence.
C. S. ALBEE, general merchant, Arapahoe, was born in Aurora, Ill., in 1846, and resided on a farm, with parents, until twenty-one years of age, after which he farmed for himself. He came to Furnas County in February, 1873, took up a homestead, and resided on the same for six months. In March, 1873, he erected a store building at Arapahoe, and engaged in business with a general stock worth about $2,000, which has since increased to about $10,000. Has 820 acres of land, and is largely engaged in stock-raising. He was elected County Treasurer in 1875, and re-elected in 1877.
C. F. BENNETT, proprietor Bennett House, Arapahoe, was born in Litchfield, County, Conn., in 1842, and reared on a farm in La Salle County, Ill., where he also taught school for several years. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Fifty-fifth Illinois Infantry, served until August, 1866, and, when mustered out, held the rank of Lieutenant of Company G. In the fall of 1866, he went to Chicago, Ill., and was, with others, engaged in real estate business. In 1869, he engaged in stock-raising in La Salle County, and followed it until he came to Nebraska in November, 1878, and entered into hotel business at Arapahoe. He has a good hotel and accommodations for fifty guests. Is also engaged in hardware and implement business in company with David Littlejohn. Mr. Bennett was for two years Chairman of the Town Board. He is also engaged in farming and raising sheep.
EVERARD S. CHILD, Notary Public, real estate and loan agent, Arapahoe, was born in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio, in 1842. When ten years of age, his mother having died, his father, Dr. A. L. Child of Plattsmouth, Neb., moved to Indiana, near La Fayette, and again to Cass County, Neb., in 1856, where he lived until the war of the rebellion broke out in 1861. Among the first to answer the call for volunteers was the subject of this sketch, who, being nineteen years of age, enlisted in Company A, First Nebraska Infantry. Served three years and three months; was honorably discharged, and returned to Cass County, Neb., where his father still resided, and where, about one year afterward, he married Miss Lizzie H. Thorndike, and turned his attention to farming. In 1874, he removed, with his family, to Frontier County, engaging there in farming and stock-raising. Served as County Surveyor and as Postmaster of Afton for over seven years, or up to his removal to this place, where he is now engaged as above, still, however, carrying on his ranch in Frontier County.
LEWIS CLUTE, general merchant, Arapahoe, came to Arapahoe in 1874, and engaged in general merchandise business, n which he now carries a stock of some $7,000; also carries on a hotel and a livery and feed stable; has an implement establishment, and owns some 700 acres of land in Furnas and adjoining counties, and is largely engaged in raising stock, etc. L. T. Roberts, his manager, was born in Elroy, Wis., in 1857. Reared on a farm, and taught school for several years. He attended Elroy Seminary for a number of terms, and graduated in mathematics in 1876, after which he came to Arapahoe, and entered the employ of Lewis Clute. Has also been, at times, engaged in dealing in live stock. On January 1, 1882, he, in company with Lewis Clute, purchased the hardware business of F. M. Rubles, and they carry a stock, in that business, of about $3,000.
R. J. FINCH, general merchant, Arapahoe, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., in October 1843. He came to Nebraska, in 1857, and resided in Fort Calhoun, Washington Co. In September, 1862, he enlisted in the Sixth Iowa Cavalry, and served until November, 1865, after which he settled in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and was employed as a book-keeper in a hardware store. In 1872, he was appointed Clerk of the State's Prison, and located at Fort Madison for two years : subsequently farmed in Newton, Kansas, for two years. In he fall of 1876, he engaged in the mercantile business in Malvern, Iowa, and disposed of his business there to come to Arapahoe, in the spring of 1880, at which time he began business at this place, carrying a stock of groceries; in the fall of 1881, he added general merchandise, and now carries a stock of some $7,000.
H. P. ROWLEY, druggist and apothecary, Arapahoe, was born in Batavia, N. Y., in 1854, and was reared on a farm in Adrian, Mich. At the age of twenty years, he was engaged as a clerk in a drug store, in Mills County, Iowa, and was employed at it there, off and on, until March, 1878, when he came to Arapahoe, and at once established this business, in company with Fred Boehner, who retired six months later, Mr. Rowley has a very handsome store. He carries a fine stock, worth $3,000; he is a thorough, practical prescription druggist, and is doing a large business.
HON. D. M. TOMBLIN, proprietor of the Furnas County Bank, Arapahoe. This bank was established in June, 1879, for general banking and exchange business. Dr. J. H. Cain, who is acting as assistant Cashier of this concern, was born in Ontario in 1848. In 1864, he entered the employ of the Northwestern Railroad Company, as clerk in the general passenger department, and followed railroad clerking for several years in Illinois and Iowa. He was for some time engaged as a clerk in the drug house at Emerson, Iowa, and in 1872 engaged in the same for himself, carrying it on for a year, during which period he read medicine with Dr. Gunn and others, and also practiced for some years. He came to Nebraska in November, 1878, located at Watson, Harlan, Co., where he practiced medicine until September, 1879, when he came to Arapahoe, and continued his practice at this point. July 14, 1880, the Doctor entered the bank as assistant Cashier, and is now about to take a medical course at St. Joseph Medical College, Missouri.
W. E. WINSLOW, general merchant, Arapahoe, was born in Malden, Mass, in 1852, and reared on a farm in New Jersey. At the age of sixteen years he began business life as a clerk in a mercantile business in Western Wisconsin, and followed it for about five years, principally at La Crosse. He came to Arapahoe in the spring of 1876, and in company with George E. Clark, purchased this business in the following fall. Mr. Clark retired in August, 1881, and the subject of our sketch has since conducted the business alone. He was done well, increasing his business yearly, and is now carrying a stock of about $8,000.